1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i set up the medusa 5.1 headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Proto Omega, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Proto Omega

Proto Omega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can get sound through them but not sure if i'm getting the sound properly. the left and right channels on the phones play right. and the rear gives out sound even on mp3's in winamp..is that right? The center channel doesnt give out anything even when turned max on mp3's. does it only kick in on true 5.1 sound? How come sound plays throught the rear sound channels on 2 channel stereo outputs?
    Also I don't know whether im getting a good enough bass..I can feel the bass but not all that much. I may have it set up incorrectly going to my sound card. the colour of the leads is so confusing for the medusa set as it does not match the colour of the inputs on the soundcard. I have a soundblaster live card with orange, black,, green, and pink colours on the back which leads from the headphones go into which colour inputs on my card? please help

2. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. First thing is to make sure that you've got it wired up right. On your sound card, green is front, black is rear, orange is centre/sub and pink is microphone. For connections (with the original wiring), I suggest using the green plug = front, blue plug = rear and red plug = sub/cen. This has the advantage of matching the colours as best as you can and also in having the plugs fitting in the order they are arranged in the cable.

Secondly, there is a switch on the headphone cable's volume 'clip' with options for 'CD' and 'DVD'. I'm not too sure on this, but I think that 'CD' shunts the front channel to both front and rear speakers (and probably combining the sub channel with the front channels), with 'DVD' leaving the audio feeds untouched (this I am certain of). Stick it on DVD.

The centre channel will indeed only kick in when it's fed proper 5.1 sound. Make sure that you've configured Windows to use 5.1 speakers: in WinXP, the relevant option can be found in Control Panel --> Sounds and Audio Devices --> Advanced (button at the bottom of the first tab). Pick the relevant option from the list given. I don't know if your sound card will mix stereo sources into the centre channel. I know that my sound card (Audigy 2 ZS) will do this with CMSS, but I don't know about the Live 5.1. See if there's an option in your drivers.

Finally, I've found the bass to be a little weedy myself, on two different pairs of Medusas that I've owned, so perhaps it's part of the design.