How do i set up my crossovers?

Thug

I have had some Canton Movie 75 speakers for a while now, but never really knew what crossovers meant and just ran Audyssey and left it as it was.
I have decided to mess around and try and get more out of them (coupled up to my Denon x2300 amp), and have a question about crossovers and settings.

This is the spec of my speakers...

canton.JPG

Its probably an obvious answer, but do i set my crossover to 120Hz?
Why does the chart show that the crossover frequency is 5.000Hz?
Do set the dial on the rear of the sub to 120Hz or all the way up?
Do i set my Speaker settings to LFE+Main, or just LFE?

sub rear.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd start by configuring the settings on the sub prior to then running the Audyssey calibration. You'd set the sub's own settings on its rear as follows:

• Set the volume to about 10 o'clock and no higher than midway
  • Set the phase setting to 0°
  • Set the frequency to the highest possible setting or set it to a dedicacated LFE option if the sub has one

Now run the Audyssey calibration.

Post calibration, go into the AV receiver's speaker configuration and set all speakers as being SMALL. Do this regardless of what Audyssey set them as, their physical size or their rated capabilities.

Now set the associated crossovers. THese are the frequency points at and below which the AV receiver will redirect frequencies away from your speakers designated as being SMALL and out to the sub. You should avoid setting any crossover below a frequibcy that Audyssey measured as being the roll off for that speaker. If Audyssey set any of the crossovers above 120Hz, don't manually set that crossover below where Audyssey set it.

The lowest frequency your speakers are rated to be able to convey is120Hz. I'd suggest you therefore not set any of the crossovers below 120Hz and preferably set them slighly higher than this.

The 5000Hz is refeing to the speakers out internal crossover circuitry. THis relates to the circuitry to determines which of the drivers gets what frequencies onboard the speakers themselves. You need not botther yourself about this.

Last edited:

Thug

Thug

You'd start by configuring the settings on the sub prior to then running the Audyssey calibration. You'd set the sub's own settings on its rear as follows:

• Set the volume to about 10 o'clock and no higher than midway
  • Set the phase setting to 0°
  • Set the frequency to the highest possible setting or set it to a dedicacated LFE option if the sub has one

Now run the Audyssey calibration.

Post calibration, go into the AV receiver's speaker configuration and set all speakers as being SMALL. Do this regardless of what Audyssey set them as, their physical size or their rated capabilities.

Now set the associated crossovers. THese are the frequency points at and below which the AV receiver will redirect frequencies away from your speakers designated as being SMALL and out to the sub. You should avoid setting any crossover below a frequibcy that Audyssey measured as being the roll off for that speaker. If Audyssey set any of the crossovers above 120Hz, don't manually set that crossover below where Audyssey set it.

The lowest frequency your speakers are rated to be able to convey is120Hz. I'd suggest you therefore not set any of the crossovers below 120Hz and preferably set them slighly higher than this.

The 5000Hz is refeing to the speakers out internal crossover circuitry. THis relates to the circuitry to determines which of the drivers gets what frequencies onboard the speakers themselves. You need not botther yourself about this.
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I did actually know most of this already and was mainly confused only about the crossover and LFE+Main part of it (there is conflicting advice on Youtube). Also i am not sure what the phase setting is.
I guess that mine have a crossover at 120Hz, but i should set them slightly higher if i can (130Hz etc) so it doesn't miss anything out.
I did run audyssey and wasn't impressed with the results, so decided to try manual settings, which does sound a lot better, but now i have made the mistake of 'tinkering' and wanting to push it that little further.
I will try LFE only and see (hear) how that sounds.
I might get the Audyssey app for my phone and see how that goes.

Thanks again.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Don't use lfe +main that creates double bass effect

Thug

I do have some Kef SP3499 speakers in the garage I might use for the fronts.
I think these go down to 50Hz.
Might be worth a try.

Last edited:

Dolus

Thanks for the reply.
I did have a quick read through this but couldnt find my answer in regards to my particular set of speakers.

The crossovers in your speakers are fixed and you cannot change them. The 5000Hz, is the crossover point between the bass/midrange driver and the tweeter.

The crossover that Audyssey/AVR applies is the frequency between the bass/midrange driver in your speaker and the subwoofer.

EDIT - Just noticed @dante01 mentioned this in post#3

gibbsy

Run Audyssey, make sure you have the mic set up in the correct position in your MLP. Take all the other readings at 60cm around that first point. The distances, levels and crossovers will be picked up that first position so it's very important you get it right.

Don't set too much store in the crossovers or abilities of your speakers as Audyssey takes the room and speaker positions into consideration. If the crossovers are set by Audyssey as being below 80hz then it's fine, and preferable, to set them higher to 80hz. If, on the other hand, Audyssey sets the crossovers higher than 80hz then you should not drop the settings down, just leave as set.

On the LFE+Main do not use. As well as sending low frequencies to the sub it will also treat the front speakers as being full range, this could lead to a bloated double bass effect. All your speakers should be set as small with LFE only.

On the sub, that's been explained above.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I do have some Kef SP3499 speakers in the garage I might use for the fronts.
I think these go down to 50Hz.
Might be worth a try.

Even if using larger speakers with better rated lower frequency handling, you'd still be advised to set the crossovers at about 80Hz. This would even be the case if using speakers rated as being full range.

Why put additional pressure upon the AV receiver's amplification if you've an active sub in a setup? THe sub is designed to deal with lower end frequencies and by using it to amplify them then you effectively increase the headroom available relative to the mid to higher end frequencies being amplified by the AV receiver.

You may find this article of interest:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom