1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I run a 10 metre VGA cable?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cameronl, Jul 29, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi all. I want to connect my computer to my Sim2 projector. The problem being is that there is a 10 metre difference between the Sim2's interface box and the pc.

I was thinking of running a 10 metre DVI cable connected to my (future) graphics card and have a DVI to VGA connection at the end where it plugs into the Sim2's interface box.

Would this work? If so, are 10 metre long DVI cables cheapish and do the DVI to VGA connectors work well?

thanks

CaM

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I assume you want to run a dvi instead of vga to future proof the installation so that dvi is availavble in the future.

Some people have used 10m dvi cables with sucess but others myself included have run into trouble over 7.5m. This is of course using it to carry a digital signal. I'm sure that it would probably be ok carrying the analogue signal but if it might not work as a dvi then you might as well save some money and trouble and just use a regular vga lead.

3. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, the measure is only temporary (a year or so), so a VGA cable actually would do fine - I just thought (for some reason) that VGA couldn't go 10 metres.

Can it actually work fine over a length of 10 metres?

thanks

CaM

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    VGA will be fine at 10m.

5. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    *IF* you use a decent quality cable. I've used both Lindy and Videk cables at a similar distance with no ghosting. Try a cheapo cable, and spot the difference :)

6. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With that info I think I'll get a VGA cable. Now do I need a VGA cable M/M, SVGA signal cable M/M, SVGA extension cable F/M

I would guess I would need the extension cable because i want to run it from my graphics card to my sim2?

Is this correct?

thanks

CaM

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Probably not an extension which is a M/F, you need a male for the graphics card end but you'll have to check the sim as I'm not sure but I would expect a male also.