• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do I restore my backup?

Pollywoggle

This might sound stupid but my computer was playing up and hard drive about to fail so I used windows backup to create a backup to my external hard drive. Computer went to menders and internal hard drive was formatted so how do I restore my files. (OS is Vista basic). I thought I could just use restore backup but I am having trouble, it seems to restore stuff but my files are not available? All my installed programmes and documents have not reappeared? Can anyone give me a run through on what to do please?:)

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I've not lived with Vista, but if it's anything like XP, then the installed programs etc won't simply reinstall from a backup. The backup is for "solid" files such as pics, music, video's, doc's etc - not programs or settings....... Without the .exe files and DLL's (Windows = DLL hell lol) and drivers etc, the programs can't be installed, and even with those, you need to manually install the programs so they can be written to the registry...

Pollywoggle

Oky dokey, thats most helpful!
Polly

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom