How do I resize partition on my hard drive?

OneDesi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a Dell laptop with 500gb hard drive and windows 7 (not sure what bit).

The drive is partitioned 60gb for C and the rest is D and I have nearly filled C :eek:

After a bit of digging I realise this is because iTunes is backing up my iPad/iPhone/iPod touch to C so I probably should have installed it on D but too late now.

I've read somewhere that I can resize the drive by shrinking D but I just want to be sure how to do this and if I shrink D does it automatically go to C or does it just disappear :confused:

I know this sounds silly but I'm no computer whizz - far from it - and wouldn't have a clue or the inclination to reinstall the whole thing and I don't know how to move iTunes without it upsetting my iPad etc. And I don't want to lose any of the films we have on the iPad.

Could someone please help :lease:

Hit start, then control panel.
In the top right, type in "partition".
Then you should see "administrative tools" and underneath, "create and format hard disk partitions". Hit that.

You should then see a table of your partitions, in boxes next to "Disk 0".

Right click on the D drive box and you'll see "shrink volume".
Hit that and you get a wizard.
Shrink it by how much you want (the number you see will be the max, you can use less).

When you've shrunk it, you'll get another box next to Disk 0 which will be "unallocated" :smashin:

Now right click on the C drive and hit "extend volume".
It should automatically extend by the amount of unallocated space you had :smashin:

There's probably a quicker way, but that's the way I know.

Hi thanks for that.

Just before I do anything next to disk 0 it says

100mb healthy. Recovery 14.65gb healthy. Os(c): 58.59 gb ntfs healthy. Data (d) 392.42gb ntfs healthy

So there is no unallocated so if I shrink the data drive will unallocated appear and then I grow the c drive?

On the disk utility there is a green box around the D drive and the unallocated 40Gb suggesting it wont give it to the C drive, I wonder why that is ?

The partitioning tools in Windows are fairly basic, and not the easiest to use IMO. I always do any partitioning with the free program Paragon Partition Manager that should let you set the size of each partition as required.

Mark.

Right I'm back - thanks for that recommendation mark, does anyone have any further advice before I give marks solution a go.

I'm just nervous as I am a numpty when it comes to stuff like this

Guys - my windows 7 is the 64 bit version and if I go to the Paragon website the 32 bit version is free but the 64 bit version is $40 - can I use the 32 bit version or not?

This just gets more complicated :(

Ok, it would appear I've missed something :(

Windows won't move stuff around and all the stuff on d:\ is right next to the stuff on c:\. Even if it wasn't, Windows won't shrink an logical partition from that end either.

Personally I've used GParted for adjusting partitions before and had no problem.

Windows won't move stuff around and all the stuff on d:\ is right next to the stuff on c:\. Even if it wasn't, Windows won't shrink an logical partition from that end either.

Personally I've used GParted for adjusting partitions before and had no problem.

Hi just to satisfy my curiosity what is the difference between a logical ad primary partition and why won't windows shrink a logical drive?

What is the left/right thing about I've seen it mentioned elsewhere

:)

Guys - my windows 7 is the 64 bit version and if I go to the Paragon website the 32 bit version is free but the 64 bit version is $40 - can I use the 32 bit version or not?

This just gets more complicated :(
Download the 2010 version as this does work with Win7 64bit - I know as I use it on my Win7 64bit PC :smashin:
If you can't find it PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Mark.

Last edited:
I recognise I might be being thick here but I cant Gparted Live to run on windows 7 - I've downloaded it, burnt image onto a CD and then cant get the disc to run ???

Any ideas?

I recognise I might be being thick here but I cant Gparted Live to run on windows 7 - I've downloaded it, burnt image onto a CD and then cant get the disc to run ???

Any ideas?
You boot from the CD.

There were 2 versions of the 2010 program - 32 bit & 64 bit and your download link must be for the 32bit. As I said previously if you want to PM me your email address I will send you a copy of the 64bit Paragon Partition Manager Free 2010.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, just pm'd you :smashin:

Due to it's size the email has been bounced back to me. I have therefore uploaded it and sent you the download link via PM.
Let me know if you get it ok or not.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom