How do I remove links to websites visited on Facebook feed?

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Probably an easy fix but I don't know how. Whenever I view a website, be it an online retailer, travel agent, restaurant, etc, they appear on my wife's Facebook feed (on the App) showing exactly what I've been looking at.

For example yesterday I was looking at a new pair of trainers, and she knows the exact pair I'm looking at. I've logged her out of Facebook on the PC I'm using to view these items, but they're still appearing on feed on her phone. It makes booking secret golf trips and surprise presents very difficult to do.

I don't use Facebook, but hers has been logged on, on my work laptop and phone for years. She uses them when we're away (free data), and we use her account to sell stuff etc. So can understand if I shop for trainers on my phone, it may appear in her Facebook feed, but seeing as she's not logged on, on this laptop, I can't figure out where the link it coming from?

thanks

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong (and shown how to do it), but I don't think it's possible.
You can change your (her) FB Ad settings from "targeted" to "not-targeted" which will just get you even more random ones.
This is why FB is "free" to you, the user....

I commented on this the other day in the Coffee Fanatics thread on here - replied to a query about coffee grinders available on Amazon (no links provided), logged into the FB and found loads of Amazon ads for coffee grinders!!

So do like the rest of us when we go on jobserve(tinder)...Use an anonymous non-logging VPN provider...

Logged in on Windows 10 Facebook app?

Nope.
It is utterly bizarre. Effectively one persons search history is creating Ads on someone else’s feed, without sharing the device

Chrome Incognito Mode?

You could try clearing cookies before and after your browsing since that is one place targeted ads can get info like that from.

Chrome Incognito Mode?

You could try clearing cookies before and after your browsing since that is one place targeted ads can get info like that from.

Don’t use chrome & deleted cookies as the first port of call

She should have her own user account on your laptop

Does this help

Facebook exchange or FBX is the platform used, a website logs a cookie even when not logged in Facebook looks at whether the ip address has been used by a user on the machine/router and correlates the two together.
main-qimg-ee6adee0fc67cbf969574151e406dc0e-c.jpeg

Does this help

Facebook exchange or FBX is the platform used, a website logs a cookie even when not logged in Facebook looks at whether the ip address has been used by a user on the machine/router and correlates the two together. View attachment 1009295

But can it be switched off? [emoji3]

Nothing major just a bit annoying, especially when buying presents online

She can’t

Oh well - adverts time then :) SWMBO uses my PC under her own account - we never get crossed advert streams.

I am actually due a new laptop from work soon. So if I never log onto Facebook from that, ever, I assume it’ll remove the problem.

We all have separate accounts on our home PC, so I guess any sneaky shopping needs to be done from that machine.

I was looking on my laptop to book a table and the link was a website called Quandoo that I had never heard of(I don’t usually book online) so I ask my wife “what is quandoo have you heard of it”. Within minutes an ad was on her Facebook link.

An adblocker + Disconnect (or equivalent) are musts.

As a demonstration, on my network in the last 24 hours more than a third of requests have been to known ad, tracking or adware/malware domains (and blocked). It's a sad visualisation of how sites and web connected devices operate.
pihole.png

Just through the new Facebook T&Cs that you have to sign up to within the next few days.

Suspect it is triggered by the introduction of GDPR.

Anyway it asked two questions (1) are you prepared to receive targeted adverts and (2) are you prepared to be recognised by face recognition in photos.

Cheers,

Nigel

I installed FBP on facebook ... no more crap and you can customise all your page . Been using it for couple of years and cannot recommend it highly enough

Good spot ChrisKz, i didn't know about Facebook purity, got it installed and its quite good, thanks for that, i also use uBock Origin for ads elsewhere as well, better than adblockplus.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom