Quantcast

Question How do I remove flickering purple bars (Wii)?

Bates

Novice Member
Hi.

I have a wii, and I can get component video from it using my wii component cable. No surprises here.

My problem is that my cheap TV has this weird minijack connector for YPbPr (component). I have made my own cable (see picture) that connects with the wii component cable, and with the mini jack in the TV.

As you can see from the pictures, I got some nasty flickering purple bars. Does anybody know how to remove them - or what approach I should take?

With a homemade cable and a cheap TV, there is of course a lot of possible courses for the purple bar issue. But maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Could it be about grounding? About sync? Signals need to be amplified/adjusted?

Attachments

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
As a guess I'd say your homemade cable is the problem, any chance of getting a proper one?

Most HDTVs these days come with these sorts of component jacks.
Here's mine for my Samsung LED
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418848015.259230.jpg

Last edited:

Bates

Novice Member
I have seen some of these cables for sale around the web. But for now I'm considering it a DIY challenge :) Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Bates

Novice Member
@-gonzo-: Yes - that is the cable I'm trying to build! Can I ask you what happens if you connect the Wii and TV using only the green RCA jack (the Y part of YPbPr)? Do you get a picture? And is it green-tinted black and white?

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
You'd be better off using a proper cable or even get a Wii RGB Scart cable.
Or even better, buy a WiiU instead and connect via HDMI.

As for your DIY job, why have you got 4 wires instead of 3? Well I should say 5 if you count the black wires coming from the red and yellow connectors which you've then combined into 1. :confused:

Last edited:

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
As for your DIY job, why have you got 4 wires instead of 3? Well I should say 5 if you count the black wires coming from the red and yellow connectors which you've then combined into 1. :confused:
Don't they all share ground? It's many years since I had to think about such things so I could be uttering complete bobbins...

Bates

Novice Member
Don't they all share ground? It's many years since I had to think about such things so I could be uttering complete bobbins...
Yes - the fourth wire is the ground shared by Y Pb and Pr.

I'm working with two theories:

1) Some of the pins inside the mini jack connector might be slightly touching each other - I'll open it up again and insulate better.
2) I might have swapped Pb for ground (!).

I'll work on it again tomorrow and post my progress. Thanks for your feedback.

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
My guess would be a stray strand touching something it shouldn't. I certainly wouldn't be able to cleanly solder everything in that mini jack! Is each cable shielded too?

Bates

Novice Member
I tried resoldering everything, with special attention to stray strands. Still the same result.

Then I tried connecting my Wii RGB SCART cable to my TV, and it instantly gave me RGB. I was surprised, as I thought that Wii was outputting component. And now I'm not even sure about if Wiis really output one thing or the other. As far as I understand, it is determined by software settings. If my Wii is outputting RGB, it does not work to connect YPbPr without an adaptor. But maybe I'm wrong here..., I'm mostly into 8-bit stuff.

Anyway, I'm happy that I got high quality video from my Wii.

Bates

Novice Member
Have you changed the EDTV/HDTV setting to 480p in the Wii settings?
Thanks for the tip. I did not know about EDTV/HDTV and its connection to component output. I have been reading internet pages this morning :)

With EDTV settings on, I get this kind of picture (see attached photo). Some wobbling lines at the top, and a noisy picture i general (a little like a bad RF connection, but the YPbPr quality is somehow visible below the noise). I'm no expert, but to me it looks like I have built a bad cable. I'm tempted to try again.

Attachments

Bates

Novice Member
No, I'm not sure. Actually I have not been able to find the pinout anywhere on the net. This is my assumption (attachment). Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Well the colours look right on your trap team picture so you probably do have the wires connected in the correct order. Just something causing interference. Maybe check the rca ends again?

Bates

Novice Member
I'm still working on this cable. It is surprisingly hard for me to do it right, obviously. I need to ask two questions:

1) I assume that, on the cable coming from the wii, green is Y, blue is Pb and red is Pr. Can anyone confirm?

2) The pinout of the minijack is Ground - Y - Pb - Pr , with Pr being the tip of the pin, and ground being closest to the sleeve. Can anyone confirm?

G a f f e r

Flickering bars sounds like the visual equivalent of a ground loop hum in audio setups.
Make sure the negatives are all shielded correctly and have the same resistance.
Also make sure all the grounds are the same length.

Failing that, would something like this for a few quid from fleabay work?

Triple 3 x Phono COMPOSITE AV Video + RCA Audio to 4 pole 3.5mm Jack Adaptor | eBay
(Ignore the colours, it should work with experimentation (i.e. which lead goes into which phono - the end three on the jack will be the +ves for each lead and the base the combined -ve))

Bates

Novice Member
Thanks for the input! The connector on your picture works like -gonzo-'s cable, doesn't it? What baffles me is that it seems to be such a simple job, but I cannot get it right. My grounds are the same length. What does it mean to shield the negatives? I use regular RCA jacks made for soldering, and jumper wire. Maybe I need some shielded wire, even though it is such a short cable...

G a f f e r

Yes, the connector does the same thing....merges 3 phono inputs into a multi-signal 3.5mm jack.

Regarding shielding - If your cable has separate screening (shielding) for +ve and -ve wires, make sure there's no breaks in it and it is fully round the wire.

Another thing I just thought of (happened to me before when DIYing my old Gamecube scart to give a true RGB signal) is that it could be the quality of the soldering (in my case, I redid it and the interfering lines disappeared) so triple check you haven't got a poor/dry joint with the solder.

If nothing works, a trip to fleabay is an option as there are lots of cheap alternatives out there...

:)

Bates

Novice Member
Thanks for the input. Yes - it could very possibly be bad soldering. I must admit that I have ordered a readymade cable now... When I get it - and if it works - I'm tempted to document the pinout and make my own cable anyway, just so my defeat won't be the last post in this case