1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I remove copy protection on a Sony RDR-HX900?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jamils, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jamils

jamils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Sony RDR-HX900 and I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I want to disable the copy protection from the machine. I will explain exactly what I have a problem with. I have done a search but I can't really find anything.

When I record a film using the signal from my Telewest box, the copy protection kicks in after about 30 seconds and the screen goes blank. I did a test using the Telewest box and the recorder's tuner. Using the tuner (the roof aerial), the film records fine.

Recording BBC1 - CH5 is ok unless I want to record a film on cable. It's not fair really, i don't want to pirate the film, just record it and watch it later.

Does anyone know how to disable the protection in the recorder or even the signal that comes from the Telewest box?

Thanks very much, Jamil,

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd be very surprised if this is what is happening. The only macrovision protected films are usually box office films from Sky. I think you may find that it is to do with your settings, either on the DVDr or Telewest box.

Post them here and we'll try to help.

3. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some time ago, when TW statred using Scientific Atlanta DVB4000 STBs, there was a software problem that was causing macrovision and/or GCMS on all channels - I think it was the latter as ISTR it only affected DVD recorders, not VCRs. I beleive this was resolved but it is not inconceivable that it may have surfaced again - I know TW have started using SA 4200 STBs recently - which STB do you have ?
    It could also be that the Sony is interpreting he CGMS data incorrectly.

4. jamils

jamils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I use a Scientific Atlanta DVB4000. Maybe I should "break" my STB to get the 4200 model?

I am using a full 21-pin RGB scart connection, I suspect I wouldn't get the problem if I just used composite. I might try using a thin scart cable and see if the TW protection signal still gets through, if you see what I mean.

Jamil.

5. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looks like I was wrong about settings - you learn something new every day.

6. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking you might have the 4200 - AFAIK the problem was fixed on the 4000 - I just wondered if it maybe hadn't on the 4000

Method of connection shouldn't make a difference, both CGMS and Macrovision will be on composite and RGB.

7. jamils

jamils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ultimately I need to find a way of disabling the Copy Protection on my Sony RDR900. But for the time being Telewest came and changed my Scientific Atlanta DVB4000 STB for a Pace model and the problem has gone away.

Like some people have pointed out, TW usually charges £75 to replace a STB that isn't broken. But after I realised that the Sony was blanking out the picture of almost any program recorded from the TW box (even the news!), I managed to get then to change the box for free. Good of them really.

Jamil.