1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i register wireless router??

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by newstuart, Feb 22, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have just installed a D-Link DI-624+ wireless router in my system. The giude asks me to type http://192.168.1.1 into my url and enter - this should bring me to a registration screen - I have tried this about 20 times now but keep getting "this page can not be displayed. any ideas most greatfully appreciated

Im also trying to connect a XDA2S pda to the new network and ideally surf the net and sync it with my pc by wifi, Im new to all of this including the PDA so would much apreciate any advice PLEASE :lease:

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    How have you got it connected to your pc?

should be:
    cable/dsl - cable/adsl modem - cat5- router - cat5 - PC

hope that makes sense.

3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Just an idea, but you are inputting the address in Internet Explorer and not some other browser?!?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is this a new network setup or have you been using the PC connected directly to an ADSL modem?

How have you connected the PC to the router? IMX it's common that the initial setup of a wifi router has to be done using a wired connection.

Right-click on My Network Places, click Properties, right-click on the icon for your network card, click Properties, on the General tab double-click Internet Protocol and tell us what it says there.

Ignore the PDA for the time being. :)

5. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Probably giving away my own ignorance but it might be worth trying 192.168.0.1. No idea what gets configured as .1.1 and what as .0.1 but I had a DLink 604+ that used .0.1. Plus I agree with KraGorn, if you can its better to start with a wired connection if you can. This lets you check whether the problem's with the network configuration or the WiFi connection.

Nick

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the IP address of the PC? It needs to be in the same subnet. If you have it set to DHCP it should get a suitable address from the router. If you have it set to a specific address you need to change it it to DHCP.

Dave

7. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem. I bought a Belkin Pre-N Router & D-link modem yesterday. I am waiting for my adsl line to be activated.
    I thought I'd try and get the netwrok up & running before the ADSL is activated.
    The setup CD will only work if you are connected to the internet via ADSL. If this is not the case you can set it up manually. The first step says to connect to the modem (surely you don't need to have an ADSL connection just to set up a wirelss network!?). The next step is to type in "192.168.2.1 without http://.
    When I do this it wants to connect to the internet by dial up. If I work offline then nothing happens.

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On Internet Explorer go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings and make sure the box "Automatically detect Settings" is UNticked. Also, you cannot have a proxy server so untick that box in case it is ticked. This should let you access the Router.