How do I record the video feed of a security camera?

K

kev269

Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing a dome security camera with IR, but my main problem is recording the video feed. I want to know the cheapest and most convenient way to record the video feed.

All I know is that I can either record onto a video tape, which I don't want to do. Or I can record onto a DVR, which is too expensive for me. I can even record onto a computer with a PCI DVR card, but I don't want to leave my computer on just for recording the video feed onto.

What I want to know is whether it is possible to connect a camera to a hard drive or portable device to record the video feed. I don't need to view the live video feed but it would be good if I could. I just want memory space to record the video onto as an MPEG file for example. Afterwards I would like to then connect that device to my computer at my own convenience to watch the recording.

Possibly something like this : New CCTV 4 CH USB DVR Box 1 CH Real Time D1 Resolution on eBay, also, Surveillance, Gadgets, Consumer Electronics (end time 23-Jun-09 13:24:33 BST)

Is this possible?

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That box still requires a PC.

If you don't want your PC on 24/7 then you really need a DVR.
Another option is a cheap low power PC or laptop with a dead screen but you need something in the system to process the video feeds.

That box still requires a PC.

If you don't want your PC on 24/7 then you really need a DVR.
Another option is a cheap low power PC or laptop with a dead screen but you need something in the system to process the video feeds.

Thanks for your reply. Am I correct in saying that a Freeview DVR would still be ok to use? Something such as this : Sagem 62160T 160GB Digital Freeview+ Twin Tuner PVR DVR on eBay, also, Hard Disk Recorders PVRs, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 31-May-09 17:52:18 BST)

Also, would I be able to connect more than one camera to record at the same time if there was an extra connection at the back?

Thanks again,

Thanks for your reply. Am I correct in saying that a Freeview DVR would still be ok to use?

That is no use at all. You need a CCTV DVR.
Something like this and stick a hard drive in it or you can get a system with a hard drive and 4 cameras like this.

There are loads out there of varying quality and functionality.

The best system for the job is a dedicated CCTV DVR , the sort of thing with a hard drive inside .These run 247 and you can alter the FRPS [frame rate per second] to save space .Most allow upto 4 camera inputs. There is one other alternative that would be a lot cheaper .A SD card recorder .There are a number of types , some with tiny dedicated cameras , some with 2 camera inputs and others that let you add any CCTV to it .Some can captures stills and/or avis at timed intervals or you can set it up for motion sensing. These can be low cost devices any many are very portable allowing you to run from from a 10/12v source.

Mind if I high-jack this thread? I'm fitting an external wired CCTV & would like to somehow add this to an existing AM/FM splitter (joiner) which is being used to feed terrestial to my Sky box to then feed several TV's around the house.

Is the CCTV cable simply co-ax?

Would the CCTV "feed" be another signal to be passed around the house with the other sky/terr signals?

Alternatively, what if I took the CCTV all the way to my sky box (spare scart input) then brought everything out by RF around the house?

Incidentally, I could then ultimately use a RAM disc in a DVD recorder?

The cables not normally co-ax but twin core cable with BNC connectors on ,at least mine are ,but you get a scart to RF box ,I bought a one years ago from K-E-E-N-E electrics years ago, it converts a composite signal to a RF one and link in to the arial cable .I dont think the DVD/RAM disk option will be ideal , not for sustained use .A DVR is designed for the job and will out last recording to disk.

The analogue CCTV feed is coax based. You need a convertor (RF modulator) to put it into your RF distribution system. This would be another input so if sky is channel 6 on your analogue channels then 7 would be your new CCTV camera. You simply add it then retune your TV to view.

Maplin sell modulators (as do most other CCTV suppliers - try Dynamic CCTV for on-line).

The best option recorder wise is to bite the bullet and go with a DVR. They tend to start at about £160 but anything else we be a compromise in my experience.

Thanks DaveChester

Not yet purchased camera but having converted video to an RF channel through the modulator, can I add that to the combined AM/FM feed?

I could then send the AM/FM/Camera channels down to sky box RF to then output to rest of house

How can I effectively combine all 3 in the loft before I send to Sky box?

Thanks Hornydragon

Am I able to use a triplexer to combine the FM aerial & terrestial aerial & the modulator camera feed?

Then a simple UHF/FM combiner before the sky box to extract the FM signal to the receiver?

YOu need a diplexer to combine or split frequencies in different bands Eg FM with UHF TV and a combiner to combine modulated CCTV and UHF as they are in the same band You may be better off with a loft amp with it all built in and the Diplexoing wall plates to extract the FM signal from the UHF feed

Triax DDU and GLobal "Loftbox" are ideal as they have dedicated CCTV inputs

Last edited:
According to National Treasure and other bank heist films you just wrap a wire around the video feed, connect computer then hey presto! :D:rotfl:

Must be more to it than that :thumbsup:

Hi Hornydragon.

Nearly there! I think the Labgear HDU641 will do the job for me but I'm a bit confused over the sky connection.

I'm bringing the RF out of my Sky+ box up to the unit to join the CCTV, Terrestial & FM in order to output all 4 to other rooms

Am I right that I have to use the downlink out & the uplink in for the Sky+ connections ie. uplink for the RF2 out of the digibox but where do I connect the downlink cable - aerial in or RF1 out?

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom