How do I record stereo/audio out of my 70s record player via headphone or RCA sockets, into my phone via headphone/mic or usb?

Member 749941

Standard Member
I want to video record my vinyl 70s singles with my phone to upload to my YouTube channel. I want the audio recording in stereo as best I can. I've tried recording from the headphone socket and the left and right RCA outputs but the audio is too loud and distorted. I'm guessing I'll need some sort of mixer.
8 Channel Line and Microphone Mixer by Cobra | eBay
So my question is

How do I record stereo/audio out of my 70s record player via headphone or RCA sockets, into my phone via headphone/mic or usb?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I think you will struggle with a phone, as most do not have a stereo input. Iphone X, 11 and 12 do allow stereo recording, but you will need an external capture device.

What phone and record player do you have?

A mixer is not the right bit of equipment. Ideally you want to use a laptop with a decent USB audio capture, plus some software like this Convert Vinyl Records & Audio Cassettes to CD/MP3 with LP Software Converter to capture, chop into individual tracks and make renaming easier. Trying to do this on a phone is going to be a pretty poor experience and the end result won't be great.

Going Grey Now

Not exactly your situation, but I've recently completed a mini project of converting all of my old LPs to digital (FLAC files in my case, but could have been MP3s).
I connected my turntable to my Rega phono pre amp (which I purchased with this in mind as it has USB out) and then from the Rega to my laptop with a standard USB cable.
I'm sure there are several Windows programs which will do the conversion (assume Apple too, but no experience) and I used software called "Audacity" (plenty of info on line).
I realise that this approach involves the purchase of some kit which has RCA in (from the TT) and USB out (to laptop or PC), unless your turntable is more modern and already has USB out?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom