Question How do I record from Freeview Play with my Panasonic DMR-PWT550EB

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Kenny UK, May 12, 2019.

1. Kenny UK

Kenny UK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

If this is the wrong forum section for this question please forgive me as it is about Freeview Play but using my PVR.

I have a Panasonic DMR-PWT550EB Blue Ray Player with twin Freeview Recorders.

It is also supposed to be a Freeview Play recorder, in fact Panasonic make a point of promoting this feature on the link below:
    DMR-PWT550EB Blu-ray, DVD & HDD Recorders - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Also when you press the Freeview Play button on the remote control it clearly says on screen "FreeviewPlay" recorder.

There is a program I wish to record from UK Channel 5 and within the Freeviw Play menu I have the Demand 5 app. If I open this I am able to locate and watch the program but, I am unable to find a way of recording the program.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this or maybe has any suggestions?

2. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Despite the description "Freeview Play Recorder" suggesting otherwise, Freeview Play is generally a play-only feature allowing you to view programmes on the various catch up services, but not allowing you to record them.

"Freeview Recorder plus Freeview Play" would a better description.

Edit: I notice that Humax use the same, somewhat ambiguous, description for their FVP5000T box.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  3. Kenny UK

Kenny UK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very misleading as I bought this recorder because it claimed to be able to record Freeview play.

Not quite a waste of money as it is a capable Freeview recorder and Bluer Ray player but rather annoyed that the one feature I really wanted (and Panasonic advertised) is actually none existent.

Oh well, never trust advertised features I guess.

4. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I doubt if they really advertised that as being one of the features, even though you interpreted it as such.

If you can find real proof that they did (be very careful!) then you may have a case to take to the Adverting Standards Authority.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,364
    The headline in the linked promo page is "Blu-Ray Player / HDD Recorder with Freeview Play". Freeview Play is offered as an easier way to access what in reality are several on-line catchup offerings (I-Player from the BBC; ITV Player, 4OD, etc) via the EPG. But fundamentally, once you begin watching, you are doing so via one of those platforms. And in fact (as far as I know) absolutely NONE of the catchup services permit their content to be recorded, so the thing you thought you were buying (which, I suspect, is a matter of your expectation determining your interpretation, rather than a misrepresentation) simply does not exist.

6. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hi Kenny. No box or device allows the recording of catch up and on demand content. Thats why its referred to as 'on demand'.

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    Freeview-Play is basically a Freeview+ PVR which they can all record live TV broadcasts for future viewing including full series. The Plus bit offers most all the catch up services. Copyright reasons precludes recoding re-broadcast content. However if you record the original live broadcast content using the series recording capability there is no issue in viewing the recordings.

The Humax FVP boxes in particular can record up to 4 channels at the same time means that provided you choose to record from the live channels there's little you can't record.

Set your favourite programmes first there's little need to use catch up. Also neeed to watch the ads simply use the skip keys.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019