Question How do I protect my personal data on XF9005 please?

JennyJames

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

Yes, I understand the irony of buying smart TV (and an android one at that) while still expecting some sort of privacy but there I guess are necessary evils for those wanting a good picture quality yet still on a budget.

So I will not accept Samba installation.

I will remove batteries from the remote (or find a way to remove the mic hardware connection) unless I need to use the remote.

Is there a mic on the actual display?

Also, I won't ever connect wifi, and I will only connect via ethernet when I need/want to (I might enable/disable connectivity via the router's web page).

Anything else I am missing?

Thank you.

Blimey, I wish my life was sufficiently interesting that anyone would want to listen in...

I presume you still have an old Nokia candybar phone and don't use a smartphone either?

If you are that worried, don't put personal data into it ... ?

You need a dumb TV then. The big boys of Sony and Samsung etc make the smarts part of the sales pitch. What TV do you have? It may or may not have a mic but that does not mean it is on either. Both the examples I have encountered have a physical mic button on the remote to press and activate.

But if you are worried about connecting to WiFi I would suggest you get a more secure WiFi router/change your password etc. What level of encryption are you using? How old is it? Do some background reading on encrypting your internet connection. If you can turn off your WiFi (which it sounds as though you can), then you can change the password to something to your liking.

IF anyone has the time to monitor my television and/or me through it they will soon get very bored!😆

Don’t sign into google or create a google account only for purpose of downloading apps

Weird. Android has got nothing to do with it, unless you have some quasi-religious affiliation to fruit. In which case you could plug in one of their streaming products. All connected smart(things) will potentially track your usage.

Apart from that, don't enter a Gmail account, or as has been stated, create one specifically for the TV. Or, just don't connect it to the interweb.

Honestly guys, I genuinely thank you all for your responses.

Think you're being a bit paranoid.
What do you think is going to happen?

You're right, I am paranoid, but with good reason. One of my concerns is hacking. Just because I have nothing to hide does not mean I am happy for another to take my personal information, no matter what they do or do not decide to do with it.

I presume you still have an old Nokia candybar phone and don't use a smartphone either?

I don't but that is not the purpose of this thread. I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have available to me.

If you are that worried, don't put personal data into it ... ?

I don't put personal data into it willingly, my concern is that the mic could take what is being said in my home = names, addresses, card numbers etc and also the file list of my hdd/home network etc. There's so much that new tech can get access to without you even realising.

You need a dumb TV then. The big boys of Sony and Samsung etc make the smarts part of the sales pitch. What TV do you have? It may or may not have a mic but that does not mean it is on either. Both the examples I have encountered have a physical mic button on the remote to press and activate.

But if you are worried about connecting to WiFi I would suggest you get a more secure WiFi router/change your password etc. What level of encryption are you using? How old is it? Do some background reading on encrypting your internet connection. If you can turn off your WiFi (which it sounds as though you can), then you can change the password to something to your liking.

You're 100% right I need a dumb TV. Show me a dumb TV with a good picture and I will buy it. AFAIK you can't Kuro TVs went out of production a LONG time ago. I don't mind buying second hand but what happens when it breaks? No parts are being made so I am back to square one.

Just because a button on the remote tells you that the mic is active does not mean that the mic is otherwise disconnected. I have programmed enough to know that just because a dialog box says something does not mean that the hardware is doing something else.

The wifi points are of a different concern to this thread.

Don’t sign into google or create a google account only for purpose of downloading apps

I have done this.

Weird. Android has got nothing to do with it, unless you have some quasi-religious affiliation to fruit. In which case you could plug in one of their streaming products. All connected smart(things) will potentially track your usage.

Apart from that, don't enter a Gmail account, or as has been stated, create one specifically for the TV. Or, just don't connect it to the interweb.

It looks like not connecting it to the Internet is the best option :( I just thought that this question has popped up before and people know of some apps to block or IP ports to block via the router or something lol.

Again, thanks all for your replies :)

My life is boring really, and I would rather not have any more drama apart from what is actually shown on the screen, and I'd like to not feature in it!:laugh:

I don't put personal data into it willingly, my concern is that the mic could take what is being said in my home = names, addresses, card numbers etc and also the file list of my hdd/home network etc. There's so much that new tech can get access to without you even realising.

Yes but only if you connect it to the network and even then it would be in breach of various GDPR rules.

It looks like not connecting it to the Internet is the best option :( I just thought that this question has popped up before and people know of some apps to block or IP ports to block via the router or something lol.

Not connecting to any network would be better. Unless it won't allow you to use the TV without doing some sort of login\register or nagging everytime you turn the TV on then simply do not connect it to the network. That way it is simply a dumb TV like you want.

Not sure the microphone picks up automatically? As in the inbuilt Google Assistant which could potentially pick things up. I think it needs to be activated by pressing the mic button on the remote (that you have to activate in the settings menu in the first place?).

Not sure the microphone picks up automatically? As in the inbuilt Google Assistant which could potentially pick things up. I think it needs to be activated by pressing the mic button on the remote (that you have to activate in the settings menu in the first place?).

You are right to use bolding there, I agree with that 100% however, I wouldn't trust Google or anything they are attached to as far as I could throw them. I'm always weary with them.

You are right to use bolding there, I agree with that 100% however, I wouldn't trust Google or anything they are attached to as far as I could throw them. I'm always weary with them.

So don't plug the TV into to anything, it can't talk back to Google if it is not connected to a network.

Trust to do what? To nick your bank details? They make much more money simply getting you to use their products where everyone else then wants to put adverts. You can use as much of Google or as little of it as you like. I'm in IT and before that I worked in electronic manufacturing, believe me there is much worse out there in the consumer world. Cheap Chinese and expensive US.

You are right to be cautious as I don't trust Google with my data. Only options are to turn off wifi, disable bluetooth which in turn will disable the mic in your remote. Don't agree to any t&c's and disable youview, samba etc.

Very naive of people commenting to suggest and believe that your data isn't being harvested when in all likelihood you have no way of guaranteeing either scenarios. Then again we are hearing more often of companies secretly listening to you via smart devices or microphones in devices so you're right to be concerned, especially of the demon that is Google.

Very naive of people commenting to suggest and believe that your data isn't being harvested when in all likelihood you have no way of guaranteeing either scenarios

Or more likely, they know the risk involved but choose to live with it.
Post #3 hit the nail on the head.

You are right to be cautious as I don't trust Google with my data. Only options are to turn off wifi, disable bluetooth which in turn will disable the mic in your remote. Don't agree to any t&c's and disable youview, samba etc.

Very naive of people commenting to suggest and believe that your data isn't being harvested when in all likelihood you have no way of guaranteeing either scenarios. Then again we are hearing more often of companies secretly listening to you via smart devices or microphones in devices so you're right to be concerned, especially of the demon that is Google.
Thanks.

Please excuse my ignorance, I've not had a new tv for over 10 years.

How do I turn off wifi please (I haven't connected it to wifi)?
How do I disable bluetooth?
How do I disable youview?
How do I disable Samba (I've seen a youtube video that tells me to go deep into app settings for this, is that it)?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Please excuse my ignorance, I've not had a new tv for over 10 years.

How do I turn off wifi please (I haven't connected it to wifi)?
How do I disable bluetooth?
How do I disable youview?
How do I disable Samba (I've seen a youtube video that tells me to go deep into app settings for this, is that it)?

Thanks.

In my experience, Wifi does a good job itself at turning off. Another 'quirk' of Android.

Wifi off (or use wired and just unplug when not needed ) - Home>Settings>Network

Disable bluetooth - Home>Settings>Bluetooth settings>bluetooth

You had the choice to disable Samba when you first booted your TV. You may have done it already.

Home>Settings>Samba Interactive TV>Samba Interactive TV

Youview - Settings>Channel setup>Youview setup>Disable Youview

If you are not connected to WiFi them you don't need to worry about any of the rest, they all rely on being connected.

IMO it is a question of striking a balance between personal utility/convenience, the fear of a controlling "Big Brother" surveillance entity and at the other end a Trumpian, libertarian, luddite conspiracy filled paranoia.

But there you go, just an opinion. We've all got them just like bums, we all believe ours don't stink.

Or more likely, they know the risk involved but choose to live with it.
Post #3 hit the nail on the head.
Data harvesting isn't about listening in on people but what you do with the data. Anyways don't want to get off topic.

In my experience, Wifi does a good job itself at turning off. Another 'quirk' of Android.

Wifi off (or use wired and just unplug when not needed ) - Home>Settings>Network

Disable bluetooth - Home>Settings>Bluetooth settings>bluetooth

You had the choice to disable Samba when you first booted your TV. You may have done it already.

Home>Settings>Samba Interactive TV>Samba Interactive TV

Youview - Settings>Channel setup>Youview setup>Disable Youview
Thank you.

I wasn't sure about whether the wifi is actually turned off or not, I didn't find the normal setting for "wifi on/off" like you can on android phones. I did see "internal wifi device" and I turned that off so now I can't see the "bravia" from my laptop. Not sure if that's the same setting.

But thanks though. Very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom