1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I play Halo Online?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Luker21, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Luker21

Luker21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you play halo online. details would be much appreciated

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You need a program called XBconnect. Either that or Gamespy.but I would recommend Xboxconnect.

It is free to download from www.xbconnect.com

Basically you need to have you Xbox and P.C networked to your broadband connection. I use a DSL router for this purpose you can get them for about £35 - £40 (or could) from www.Microdirect.co.uk.

It is also possible to do this using your P.C as a server providing it has two networks cards and is properly setup. This is a cheaper option but is harder to setup.

When you have got this setup you run xbconnect on your P.C. with your xbox switched on and in lan multiple player wait mode on Halo. The Software then fools the game into thinking the players you connect to over the internet using the software are actually on you lan.

Clever stuff. It works really well, I play it all the time. Just to clarrify what you will ned to make this work.

Xbox with copy of Halo obviously

Broadband connection (At least 600k down 128k up, remember this game was not meant for online gaming and requires alot of bandwidth especially if you are hosting games)

PC

Xbconnect software

Network to connect Xbob and Pc Together and to broadband. This can either be a pc with two network cards or a router. Hubs will also work.

Hope this helps.

3. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will give that ago tongiht. Thanks for the info.

CaM

4. Luker21

Luker21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for that. Was really helpful. Hopefully ill get a game with you sometime!
    Thanks, Luker21.

5. Luker21

Luker21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using xbconnect is there any way of joining up with anyone specific?

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sure I go on Friday nights quite late usually. You can meet up with friends easily. When in a game chat session highlight your friends name then right click "Add buddy" his name will be added to the top right of your screen. When he is logged on his icon shows as such. By double clicking on his name you can send him a private message saying where to meet up. Really useful.

7. Luker21

Luker21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot . Ill be on on friday night aswell. If your hosting an i see your name ill add you. Thanks again, Luker21

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Only one problem...... I cant host at the moment. :blush:

I seem to have the firewall setup to tight. I am pretty sure you have to allow ping for xbconnect to work and let you host games. Not good when you are using NTL and your P.C is on all day.

In reallity I only have 600k down stream 128k up. With this I was only ever able to host 4 people properly. I also had to turn the fire wall off on my laptop which I run xb connect on (Downstairs next to my screen) to get hosting working properly which is again not desirable.

Much better to find someone with a 1 meg line or above in the UK who can host at least 8 people.

What is your xbconnect tag ? I will have a look for you tonight.

Blw my favorite levels are Blood Glutch & Sidewinder with all the vehicles. :smoke:

9. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Wow! Thanks for the tip.

I've just downloaded the free 2.3 release. It looks really professional.

Hmm, multiplayer network Halo on a 7ft screen might just be worth running an eternet cable to the garage this weekend!

Does it really work as well as it sounds?

Is the cpu usage high? i.e. can I run it on my HTPC, which is also running Dscaler to show the Xbox s-video on my desktop (VGA connected CRT projection screen).

thanks,
    Rob.

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    7ft screen :p thats sounds way cool. My friend has just got a 9ft screen and a really good projector.

I have been despreate to get this setup at his place. It looks really good on my 42" plasma but a projector setup would be awesome.

Yet I use it all the time. It works really well If you get the right people (UK, Dutch, Scandinavians - must be same Pal region to work so not stinking french or Germans). You will find it takes a while to get a good game going and a few pals who you like to play with. When you do though you wont be able to stop playing it.

When I got my Xbox at Christmas and started playing it a friend and I both played at my house split screen online on it for many hours at a time. I think the longest we were on there was 6 hours :rolleyes:

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry I forgot to put. The CPU usage is not high at all. The software has been very well designed and has very little system overheads.

I have read on forums of people runing it on P100s with absolutely no problems !

12. Luker21

Luker21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My xbconnect is the same as always, Luker21. Look forward to seeeing you.

13. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think I'll run a long cable tonight to test this out, as the missus wants to do holiday ironing instead of watching Minority Report.

I'm registered as Fluff100.

Thanks again guys.
    regards,
    Rob.