Answered How do i play atmos on my tv?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by filmofil, Aug 24, 2018.

1. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi all
    Many (or almost all) tvs under 1000 $ does not support dolby atmos and if i buy one, how will i play 4k movies that 99% of them are with dolby atmos. How will i get sound?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #17 by grahamlthompson, Aug 27, 2018 (1 points)
  3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,613
    Stereo from the TV's speakers.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    As JayCee says TV's with built in Atmos will just play through the stereo speakers with a virtual Atmos effect applied.

But to get real Atmos so to speak you need an Atmos sound system or soundbar.

In order to channel the audio from the built in apps you must use HDMI-ARC however ARC is limited to PCM 2.0, Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio. Some TV vendors support Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 with Atmos over ARC and this is how they send Atmos to a sound system.

The next generation HDMI-eARC will officially support Atmos and 7.1 audio but it remains to be seen what existing TV's if any get updated to this and they just release new models instead. LG have not said anything about HDMI-eARC, if it's Vizio your looking at your best bet is to contact them directly and ask if any 2018 sets will be getting updated to HDMI-eARC.

Your final option is an external set top box like an AppleTV 4K plugged into the Atmos sound system via HDMI pass-through.

5. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No sir, i mean you said it right but that was not my question. Tv models Sony 55XE8000 and Samsung NU7500 or LG55UK7500 does not play Atmos 4k movies when i try them. I got message audio not supported. So they do have dtas, true hd dts and many other dolby stuff but still i cant hear nothing on thos tv's so how do i fix this?

Does this mean that i need 2000 $ tv in order to have audio on all 4k bluray movies? Since each movie i tried that is 4k hdr have atmos and i got message audio is not supported.

6. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No, tvs does not support audio, every movie is muted, no sound.-

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,613
    Change the audio output settings in your Bluray player.

8. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That is the problem, i do not have 4k bluray player i play all 4k hdr movies of my usb 3.0 stick or from my external hdd disk / nas system. I speak about movies played via downloaded content and then transfered from usb to tv. I do have ps4 but it is not 4k bluray player.

9. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    your TV will not support hd soundtracks like dts-hd or dolby truehhd. atmos is only a metadata that is layered on top of the base soundtrack. buying an expensive TV will not solve that issue.

most films have a sd sountrack of some kind and you should be able to enable this for sound.

do other films that are not atmos play ok? can you check the files and see what soundtracks are selected?

10. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This is info

Video: x265 3840x1608 (23.976 fps) @ 17.3 Mb/s (CRF 17)
    Audio: English Dolby Atmos 7.1 @ 4461 kb/s: English Dolby Digital 5.1 @ 640 kb/s
    Subtitles: English (SDH), English (forced), Spanish, French

So there is no other option of sound to pick but this one and neither of mentioned tvs can play it. This means i need to find 4k movie with additional audio source, i need to buy 4k bluray player or 3rd option is not to watch 4k movie?

11. gibbletts

gibbletts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I find it quite funny that your complaining about illegally downloaded content not playing, if you want to watch 4k content get a 4k blu ray player or try many of the online rental services which provide 4k.

12. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    Content sourced from the net usually only has one or two soundtracks as the original pirate will have stripped the unnecessary soundtracks to keep the file size down.
    This is illegal of course, and you cannot complain to these guys because their stolen goods is not in a suitable format for you.

You will have to search for the same titles in stereo only , or get a media player that can downmix audio.
    The best option of course, get your content legally!

Original, legal content, always has a sound option that will play on any TV.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  13. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry but i do not complain about that, i do complain about that if i buy digital 4k it will not play sound on same tv unless i do (must) buy 4k bluray and then i must buy disc so that means digital 4k is not an option for mentioned tvs.

In my country there is less then 0,001% people buying 4k and we do download 4k content. Legaly or not but no one buy 4k and there is no market here for 4k blurays, no shop or bluray rental stores. Only option in here is to pay for digital content, stream Amazon or Netflix or get something else. It is not my fault but i cannot buy 4k bluray unless i order it from UK and in there i do not get subtitle on 4k bluray as UK 4k bluray discs in 8/10 ratio will not support Croatian, Serbian or Bosnian subs.

14. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Please read answer i gave in quote on top on top of this.

I will give you an extra info.

It is not my fear of not be able to play audio from non-legal 4k content. It is not problem for me to pay 4k bluray disc at all. Thing is, it seems i am forced to buy 4k bluray device on top of price i paid for tv. If i do not do this i cannot get 4k elsewhere or i can only stream from Prime and Netflix.

For me, as a person who wants best quality of videos i cannot be happy about that. I think i should give back my tv and just get tv that has atmos dolby built in. Something like 55SK8500 lets say. So i rather then pay extra 500 bucks for SK8500 and have atmos then to use uj7500 and no have sound at all.

15. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    You cannot be serious!
    Having a 4k TV does not entitle you to 4k content for free.
    You also need to pay for a 4k source or streaming service the same as everyone else.
    That is the way it works.

Even so, if you think its your right to steal content, then at least dont be lazy about it.
    Stolen content also gets uploaded with sound formats that “ will” play on your TV.
    Do your homework.
    No one is going to tell you how to get the “ correct” stolen content on this site.
    Its against site rules.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  16. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Why u use words such as stolen content? I do not use that content. And i never asked you to tell me how to play it. I asked you is there way to play 4k videos via usb or hdd to tvs who does not have built-in dolby atmos.

So lets say in 2019 netflix stream atmos sound on their 4k movies or tv shows, i would not be able to hear sound as i did not buy premium class tv. But even pretty expensive tv such as 65xe8000 models from sony still cant play atmos. For me it is unfair that this ability is placed upon users of mid-range tvs up to 1500 $ and more.

17. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    Netflix shows with Atmos will have other sound options available.

18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Best Answer
    What's the point of using Dolby Atmos which supports multiple speakers with a TV that only has two speakers (stereo) and of limited frequency range ? A player/streaming source should identify this during HDCP handshake and deliver a suitable stereo audio format to the TV.

To use Dolby Atmos you need a proper AV receiver with Atmos support and multiple speakers plus at least one subwoofer or a Atmos enabled soundbar, a TV only would be useless.

Dolby Atmos

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018