1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I 'Over Drive' my speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dre, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have lost sound on a couple of my speakers as part of my 5.1 setup. I have spoken to the manufacturer to get these replaced under warranty and they have said that I've probably 'over driven' my speakers? So what is 'over driven' the specification of the speakers is 100W at 8 ohms, my amp is 80W at 8 ohms so how do i 'over drive' the speakers?

2. The_Mole

The_Mole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Dre. not exactely sure what "overdriven" means but it may be another term for speaker blowout. i am not an expert but i do know that speakers are more likely to blowout when the Amp has a lower wattage than the speakers. Apparently this is because you are much more likely to turn the Amp up full. But turning the amp up full creates a distortion in sound which in turn could damage your speakers.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What that means is that it cannot possibly be our fault so it must be something you've done. As a matter of interest which two speakers in your 5.1 formation is that have been "overdriven"

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't accept it that you have overdriven you're speakers if under warranty and they have stopped working get them to either fix or arrange for a new pair to be collected.

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Overdriven used to mean you have pushed the amps power into 'clipping' which damages the drive units, but you say your amps 80w into 80 ohms. If that's a wrms value with decent speakers, and it's not in a huge room then you would have to have had it very loud, so it sounds like an excuse to me.

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    .. also out of curiousity - what speakers & what amp pls.

7. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info gents...Amp has never been turned up full, I've a 9 month old daughter to contend with, not to mention her indoors :eek:

Anyway my center channel and front right went?

I have the Marantz sr4300 and the Gallo Nucleus Micro's.

Anthony Gallo have been great in the past (this happened once before but only one speaker). However this time they seem to be pushing back, albeit in a friendly manner...

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I very much doubt whether the speakers have been overdriven by conventional means so would guess that there may be an intermittent fault in the amp.

9. beanman

beanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be that the amp set up is incorrect? The speakers are only ickle and so pushing a full range signal into them even at low volumes could fry them.

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Did you have the speakers set to 'large' on the amp? If you did then there is a very high likelyhood that you have overdriven them. With those speakers I would make sure that the satellite speakers are all set to small with a crossover setting of about 100-120Hz. If you have not done this I would be inclined to agree with the manufacturer that they have been subject to misuse and as such any repair should be chargeable.

11. Dre

Dre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm very careful with my setup and have used this forum to detremine the best setup...

The speakers are all set to small, amp crossover at 100Hz I even used the avia cd to make sure volumes etc were all correct.

I'm going to return the speakers to Gallo and see what they say, but I'll be very suprised but probably more disappointed if they do say it is Over Driven.

12. beanman

beanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if your set up is correct that means a few things.

1. Someone else is playing silly beggars with the volume that you don't know about
    2. The amp is faulty and blowing the speakers
    3. The speakers are low quality

Speakers are usually very reliable and to have 3 blown is very rare. I'd be tempted to ask for an engineers report from AG they should be able to tell you what has failed on them and why.

13. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Dre,

1. The output of the Marantz is incapable of blowing the Gallos in terms of power output.

2. I would suspect that the amp is indeed faulty.

3. The speakers are very definitely not low quality. They are small but they are good.

High powered amps rarely "blow" speakers, the owner finds the sound level is too high and the volume isn't advanced beyond the point of potential trouble. Lower powered amps are the problem - as the volume level is increased they start to clip, nasty square waves are produced rather than nice sine waves and good speakers fail. If the amp is faulty the onset of square waves may be at a relatively low volume level. Gallo won't mess you around - 3 failures points to an amp problem not Gallo.

14. The_Mole

The_Mole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dre, seems you have come full circle to the original diagnosis. What I do under these circumstances is assume that I have done something wrong. If that is the case then I may be able to fix it. Once I have concluded that I havent done anything wrong then it must be the fault of someone else (in this case your dealer/manufacturer) then it must be up to them to fix it. Try contacting your dealer again and explain your case. Good Luck.

15. beanman

beanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We can speculate until the cows come home but as mentioned AG should be able to say what technically has gone wrong with thr speakers.

16. beanman

beanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Rubbish, i'll blow any speaker you care to mention with that amp.

2.Maybe, it is a Marantz

3. I beg to differ