how do i 'open my modem'

ohh_danielson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as title says, i can get on xbox live but cant play any game online as all games say they need updating(all games were fine a week ago), so i rang up and the guy said i probs need more ports open, and need to open up my modem and put in some numbers he gave me.

Any help please

Oh i rang up NTL (Virgin now) and asked about opening my modem to need to change some NAT settings and the woman was bloody useless, and said she cant give information on it in detail as its against company policie, so i said is there anyone i can speak to about it as i need to edit my NAT settings and insert some udp numberi have been given to open up more ports and she just basically said no one can help with that.

Im completely stuck now as Xbox told me if i need help opening my modem i should ring NTL/Virgin.

But they cant help me :(

Last edited:
What NTL box do you have? I'll ask my girlfriend tonight as she used to work a NTL a few years ago on tech support. Not sure if their boxes work the same a s a normal router.

Is your 360 connected directly to the modem or through a router ? if connected through a router check if there is a firmware update for the router, i had a problem with a strict nat and a firmware upgrade sorted it out. If you are connected via a router a little more info would be helpful mate, make/model etc of router. If your connected straight to the modem im not sure as when ive connected directly to the modem in the past it was always open.

Is your 360 connected directly to the modem or through a router ? if connected through a router check if there is a firmware update for the router, i had a problem with a strict nat and a firmware upgrade sorted it out. If you are connected via a router a little more info would be helpful mate, make/model etc of router. If your connected straight to the modem im not sure as when ive connected directly to the modem in the past it was always open.
My connection is going straight from my modem to my 360 i dont have a router. Really stuck what to do i have tried all sorts.

To the other guy it would be well appreciated if you could get any info from your partner.

Really want to get this sorted!

My connection is going straight from my modem to my 360 i dont have a router. Really stuck what to do i have tried all sorts.

To the other guy it would be well appreciated if you could get any info from your partner.

Really want to get this sorted!

mate, think people will need to get the make/model of the modem before they can help any further.
Have you done the xbox live connection test from your xbox? If so what does the report say. I've read a few other people having their settings messed about after the recent live outage. e.g. NAT setting set to strict. If your xbox and the modem have worked previously, then something has introduced a change. Do you have to have you PC on to get your modem working or is it standalone?

Hope you can get it sorted quickly. It must be damn frustrating, especially with COD5 beta out.

Edit: A quick google search indicates that NTL customers are likely to have NTL200 (grey) or NTL250(blue). Both these are manufactured by Ambit. You can access the modem's config screens by typing in http://192.168.100.1 into your fave browser.
This will bring back a log in screen prompting for User and Password. Both of these are 'root' (without quotes)
This should then get you logged in to a settings screen.
If you get this far and all is good post back.

Last edited:
mate, think people will need to get the make/model of the modem before they can help any further.
Have you done the xbox live connection test from your xbox? If so what does the report say. I've read a few other people having their settings messed about after the recent live outage. e.g. NAT setting set to strict. If your xbox and the modem have worked previously, then something has introduced a change. Do you have to have you PC on to get your modem working or is it standalone?

Hope you can get it sorted quickly. It must be damn frustrating, especially with COD5 beta out.

Edit: A quick google search indicates that NTL customers are likely to have NTL200 (grey) or NTL250(blue). Both these are manufactured by Ambit. You can access the modem's config screens by typing in http://192.168.100.1 into your fave browser.
This will bring back a log in screen prompting for User and Password. Both of these are 'root' (without quotes)
This should then get you logged in to a settings screen.
If you get this far and all is good post back.
Really appreciate this info mate i will try this later :)

My pc needs to be plugged in but doesnt have to be on in order to make my modem work . My boy is a grey ntl box.

Maybe when i can edit the settings as you posted above i can input these numbers that the xbox guy gave me :)

Please work lol

You need to forward ports or use dmz.

Select your router from here :smashin:

Then go to xbox xbox live on the next page ond follwo the instructions on how to forward the ports.

Or take a look here

either way to get your nat open you need to enter your routers admin/config page.

Usually type 196.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 in the address bar of your browser, username and password is usually admin admin, or admin password.

You then go into the nat settings, or dmz etc.

If you did log into your router ok with my instructions posted earlier, the only thing I can find that may slightly resemble your modem set up is here :Generic ambit stuff

This info is contained within that portforwarding too and JayAVF also linked the xboxlive help.

The best thing is to do one step at a time and then check if xbox live is working. Best start with trying to change NAT to open(if it is set to strict now). Then the open the ports etc. I say that because by the sounds of things your modem was working fine until recently.

take care & best of luck

Last edited:
Excellent guys!!

that link works my modem is Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem

Im now at the main menu... going to probs playa round with it dont know if il do much good or bad though lol

EDIT - i cant see where i can change any settings actually.

You need to forward ports or use dmz.

Select your router from here :smashin:

Then go to xbox xbox live on the next page ond follwo the instructions on how to forward the ports.

Or take a look here

either way to get your nat open you need to enter your routers admin/config page.

Usually type 196.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 in the address bar of your browser, username and password is usually admin admin, or admin password.

You then go into the nat settings, or dmz etc.

The 196.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 sites didnt work mate.

So i cant edit NAT settings as yet, i did folllow that guide you posted also and my ip address for my Ambit Cable Modem is 10.157.74.18 so i entered that on my dashboard settings etc i got a bit stuck on what my Subnet Mask number should be but anyways when i ran xbox live test it said my IP address was wrong anyway.
Also on a different bit of the guide it said once i know my IP address put it in the web browser, so i did and it didnt work! Think its because im NOT using a router? my connection is running stgraight from my modem, i dont have a router.

So that ended there lol.

Suppose at least im getting closer.
Probs just me not doing stuff right but i aint 'in the know' with this sorta thing!

Really appreciating the help though guys! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Had a chat with the missus last night but she said everything has changed since she left. I forgot how long ago it was she worked there :thumbsdow, sorry :)

The 196.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 sites didnt work mate.

So i cant edit NAT settings as yet, i did folllow that guide you posted also and my ip address for my Ambit Cable Modem is 10.157.74.18 so i entered that on my dashboard settings etc i got a bit stuck on what my Subnet Mask number should be but anyways when i ran xbox live test it said my IP address was wrong anyway.
Also on a different bit of the guide it said once i know my IP address put it in the web browser, so i did and it didnt work! Think its because im NOT using a router? my connection is running stgraight from my modem, i dont have a router.

So that ended there lol.

Suppose at least im getting closer.
Probs just me not doing stuff right but i aint 'in the know' with this sorta thing!

Really appreciating the help though guys! :thumbsup:

I reckon do simple checks first:

1) set everything back to default in the dash for connection settings. Then run the xbox live connection test and see if it throws out any issues. SYSTEM > NETWORK SETTINGS > TEST XBOX LIVE CONNECTION

2) you shouldn't have to play around with any of the settings in the xbox dash at all. You mention about trying to put in your IP address etc. Personally I would leave that alone. You probably do not have a static IP anyway.

3) I take it you managed to get into your modem's config screens when using http://192.168.100.1 with 'root' as username and password? This IP address is simply a way of getting access to your modem.

If you can get in, can you tell us what the screens look like/and or post a screenshot.

Cheers

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom