1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I network with Win98

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I have just finished setting up my PC (winXP) for networking with a Netgear DG834 Router with no problems.

My problem is I cannot setup the network on my second pc running Windows 98, I have it working with the internet through the router but have failed to set it up for networking.
    I have gone through the step by step guides and tried to setup the nework with a setup disc winxp created for me to setup networking on other pc's, but when the utility tells me to restart, it states I do not have the hardware setup for networking when I know it is there and correctly seup.

I am pulling my hair out and getting tempted to install XP on the second pc, which I would have done by now if it were not for a programme my Wife use's which only runs on win98. :lesson:

Thanks for any help

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    You shouldn't need to install any program onto the W98 computer. If you right click on the Network Neighbourhood icon you can add TCP/IP protocol and set it to get it's IP address from the router.
    You have probably laready done this though if you can access the internet through the router, so I'm a bit baffled as to why you think the networking isn't working :confused:
    To be able to see things on the w98 computer from the XP computer you need to add file/printer sharing on the W98 computer and then share out the folders or disks that you want to access from the XP computer (and likewise the other way round)

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can your XP machine 'see' the Win98 machine?

Try this. Open a command prompt on XP and enter this:

ipconfig

Note the IP address. Now go to the Windows 98 machine and do the same. Do you get the same sort of information? If so then still on the 98 machine enter:

ping a.b.c.d

where a.b.c.d is the IP address of your XP machine. What output do you get?

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I seem to have solved it now :)
    The working groups were differant names, I just renamed the one on the XP machine and it seems all right now.
    I did the ipconfig on the 98 machine earlier and it seemed ok, but the dos window just flashe's on and off quicky on the XP machine :confused:

For some strange reason the 98 machine in the working groups shows up as a 95 spec machine in the properties.

Thanks for the help :smashin:

p.s I'm still learning with Networking :blush:

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure what you mean 'flashes on and off', but since you're working now then the point's moot. If you're using XP Home then I expect the workgroup name was MSHOME, helpfully (sic) M$ changed it from the conventional WORKGROUP for some inane reason I've never figured out.

6. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the actual command for win9x machines to get the ip address is "winipcfg" --ipconfig is for NT based operating systems.