1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make widescreen DVD play on my widescreen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Amino, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Amino

Amino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I've got a Toshiba 42H83 42" widescreen HDTV. I want to play widescreen DVDs on it, but when I do, no matter what aspect ratio I put it on, I still have black bars above and below my picture...

Is there a way to get rid of those, and not have the menus be off-screen? I mean, when I switch it to get the least amount of the black bars on my TV, the menus get cut off!

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I wish I had £1 for every time a question like this is asked.

Assuming that you have your DVD player set to output a 16x9 signal (where available on the disc), and your TV set to the right aspect ratio, then......

1: The image will always EXACTLY fit the shape of your screen (give or take a small amount of overscanning)

2: BUT - the image produced from the disc itself MAY, depending on the film, contain some areas of plain black above and below the picture.

The reason for this is that many films are made (for cinema use) in aspect ratios WIDER than that of a 16x9 TV. Bear in mind that films are made primarily for cinema use, and cinems have screens that are wider than 16x9, usually. Home video (inc DVD) is a secondary thing. The question then becomes....

How does a DVD manufacturer fit a film that is WIDER than 16x9 onto a DVD disc, for playback on a TV that is 16x9?

Possible answers:

1: Crop off the left and right edges of the film, so that the width is now correct. Doing this means that you don't see all of the film, as made.

2: Artificially increase the height of the film, so that everything is stretched vertically, but it fits your TV. But this makes people and other things too tall and thin.

3: Put the film on the disc at its correct shape, and pad out the extra height with plain black.

4: There is a fourth option, sometimes but not always possible that arises because of a film-making technique called open-matte. But that would only confuse matters, because it is not always possible and causes other issues.

Option 3 is what is normally done. Your disc produces a 16x9 shaped image, but that image includes the black padding necessary to maintain the correct shape of the original film. Your screen IS filled with disc signal, but part of that signal is black padding.

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dead right. i watched Cul De Sac on my 44 widescreen and there were no black bars. When i watched it on the tv downstairs which is 4;3 there were black bars. However if I watch a film that is shot in wider mode then my wide tv shows the bars but they are not as big as the bars on the other tv. Simple

shaun

4. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of DVD players have a setup option to reposition the menues (pioneer 444 for example) to avoid this problem. It may be worth your digging around on your player to see if such a function exists.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On the same subject, if I may :)

I have a Tosh 28" WS and a Tosh SD220E. The TV has several modes, two being "Cinema" and "Wide". If I play a WS DVD and select "Cinema" I get the correct aspect ratio but lose the top and bottom few scanlines and the lines themselves become mildly visible, ie. the scanlines seem to be further apart "streching" sort of. If I select "Wide" the vertical height is too short and the picture is distorted.

While I understand aboyt 2.35:1 and other aspect rations don't understand why the TV is having troublt displaying the picture without distorting. The real issue is when I play DVDs from a PC the overscan means I lose menus etc. at the top depending on the player I use.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    But it isn't a 'problem' :confused:

I have a Tosh WS TV too and I can tell you that WIDE is the CORRECT mode for all anamorphic WS material (regardless of AR).
    It only stretches it horizontally so there should be NO distortion. YES, you will still get black bars, top & bottom on 2.35:1 films.

CINEMA mode should only be used for non-anamorphic Letter boxed movies as this stretches the picture both horizontally and vertically.
    The trade off is a fairly awful picture due to the blowing up of the picture.

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Agreed. Provided that the DVD player is correctly set to output a 16x9 (anamorphic) signal where available on the disc.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I did ask this a couple of days ago and someone suggested I check the DVD settings .. I haven't been able to for various reasons yet :blush: ... however I have re-asked in this thread because even if I find my DVD player is configured properly I still get the same problem using my PC ... I don't see where on a PC I'd configure my TV size, obviously per se PCs don't know about TVs.

Maybe my problem is that I don't really understand just what "anamorphic" means :( ... I'll have to do some more digging.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    The software you use to play DVDs on ur PC should have an aspect ratio setting in the preferences/set up.

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    At the risk of stimulating a huge raft of (unnecessarily complex?) technical answers, this is the simplest way of describing what anamorphic means.

(Note that, when I refer to 'video signal' I mean whatever is recorded on the disc etc. - which may or may not contain some plain black content above/below, or in rare cases, left/right of the active part of the image. This padding IS part of the video signal)

In the context of video signals, anamorphic is taken to mean, the video signal is displayed properly (ie without cropping or distortion) when it exactly fills (see Note above) a display with a 16x9 aspect ratio.

A non-anamorphic video signal is displayed properly (without cropping or distortion) when it exactly fills (see Note above) a display with a 4x3 aspect ratio.

Simple(?) as that.

11. Amino

Amino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well, I set my DVD player to 16:9 ratio, but the menus are still cropped off if I set my TV to the aspect ratio where the DVD fits perfectly. If I set it to where the menus aren't cropped off, the DVD still has small black bars at the top and bottom...

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think I'm getting there, slowly. :)

Nigel: thanks for the description ... I think I actually understand a bit of what's going on now. :)

Kevo: it doesn't have a setting for selecting 4:3 or 16:9 :confused:

I'm using PowerDVD version 5 and there isn't a setting for the display size .. or if there is I've lost the plot completely. BUT, there IS a setting "Keep Aspect Ratio". Now, I've found if I set the TV to "4:3" and play, say, FoTR I need this option ON to get a correct picture. If I switch the TV to "Wide" I have to set that option OFF ... when I doo I get a correctly-aspected 16:9 display.

I'm more than a little bemused by this, as like you I had expected to find a "TV size" setting or somesuch but I can't find one.

However, the point's moot as it seems at least I've managed to discover how to get a proper 16:9 display out of my PC.

I also finally dug out the Tosh DVD and discovered that for some reason it was set to 4:3 TV ... no idea why since the "initial setup" has 16:9 and to my knowledge it's not been fiddled with .. however, clearly I should have checked before asking here. :blush:

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It may be, on the specific disc you are watching

14. Amino

Amino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, I'm thinking it's part of the signal, but it seems to be like that on ALL my DVDs!

15. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    May well be, depending on your choices of movie. A significant proportion of modern films are made, for the cinema, WIDER (in relation to height) than a 16x9 TV is. And the only way to fit a WIDER than 16x9 movie into a 16x9 video signal, is either:

1: To stretch it vertically, which would make everything look too tall/thin

2: To crop off the extreme left and right edges of the image, which means that you don't see the whole film

3: To place the film there at its correct shape, and then pad out the height with plain black.

4: Open matte. Only possible with some films and can result in things being visible that shouldn't be - boom microphones, reflections, lighting equipment, John Cleese's underwear etc.

And (3) is what is most often done, for such films.