1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make my Linn Ninka's Active?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hawklord, May 26, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Please could someone explain to me how to go about making my speakers active via bi/tri amping. I'm currently using my arcam a75+ to drive the speakers passively (bi-wired).
    What Kit would I have to purchase and what are the likely costs in doing so? Would I be able to use the A75+ or would I have to buy 3 seperate power amps? I do not fully understand how you would connect the whole lot together either. Any pointers please?
    Are there any makes and models that you would suggest to complement my current set up.
    I'm really just putting out feelers to see what amount of money I would have to find to get the best out of these speakers.

Many thanx for any feedback.:smashin:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hawklord.....I think we spoke on this area before....when you were buying the Ninka's.....you have a few routes on this one....

1.if the A75 has a pre-out/power in connection you could keep it as your pre-amp and one stereo power amp.
    You would then need a Linn Tunebox(basically a power supply for their active crossover cards)available to order from Linn dealers along with the crossover cards.In addition,to bi-amp you will need one further stereo power amp of similar sensitivity,and for tri-amping,a second power amp.

2.The other method is to sell the A75 and buy a used Linn Kolektor or similar preamp,and either 2 or 3 Linn power amps(used LK85s are about £300)into which the active crossover cards can be fitted and powered directly.

The latter is the tidiest,but possibly most expensive option.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Are Linn the only option or are there alternatives around that will do the job equally well? My Arcam a75+ has a pre-amp out so would it be able to act as a pre-amp and one power amp. Could I use sp2 on the arcam to act as a second power amp source? If so would that mean I could get away with just buying one power amp? Why would I need a cross over card doesn't the speaker filter/manage the cross overs itself for each driver?
    Sorry for all the questions but it doesn't seem to be sinking in that quick.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I don't think you can use your A75+ as part of an active system as it only hasa pre-out and not the power-in. You need to be able to put the crossover card inbetween the 2 "halves" of the amp. The only use it could have is as the pre-amp (you may be able to get it modified but I wouldn't be able to sugest where or how).

The way the Aktive system works is that the output from the pre-amp is taken into a cross over ... this works at line level rather than speaker level that a passive systems pre-amp works at. The outputs (1 for high-end, 1 for mid-bass and 1 for bass) from the active cross-over are then taken into 2 (or 3) power amps (per speaker) and from there straight into the drivers.

With the active system, the speakers no longer have a cross over. The crossover card works at line level in place of the speakers cross over.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Vikki

PS .. the sp2 on the Arcam is just a parallel connection off 1 stereo power amp.

PPS ... a little diagram might help ... currently you have the following signal path ( [] indicate in one unit )
    Source ---> [PreAmp -> PowerAmp] ---> [Crossover -> Drivers]
    if you make your Linn speakers active your signal path will be - using non-Linn poweramps
    Source ---> PreAmp ---> Aktiv Cards in Tunebox ---> Poweramps (x2/3) ---> Speaker Drivers
    or with Linn Amps
    Source ---> PreAmp ---> [Aktiv Card -> PoweAmp] (x2/3) ---> Speaker Drivers

Edit: flow chart changed

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    sounddog, did not know that and i thought i knew about Linn hifi:blush:
    i thought that you could use ANY pre amp and then the aktiv cards were fitted to the power amps, say 2 power amps in total (1 for bass and 1 for treble). anyway, like i say, i haven't owned linn stuff but hope to buy a seperate linn hifi someday! btw, this forum is a great place to learn without looking stupid in a shop!!!

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    You can use any pre-amp dts_boy ...

The aktiv card can be fitted either to a Linn power amp, or to a separate tunebox (think thats right name).

Not sure if I made that clear.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It's a bit clearer now - thanks everyone.