How do I make masking panels please?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hey guys. Can I have some advice please on how to make some cheap MVEL22 masking panels?

I use a wall at the moment with PJ paint to project an image. This way I can switch between 16:9 and 21:9 whilst taking advantage of the height and width of the room.

I'm in the process thanks to a kind member on the forum of installing some MVEL22 curtains int he room. My plan for the ceiling is acoustic panels 1M out which will be covered in MVEL22. Curtain track will bend around the screen so I can use the curtains as masking for the sides.

I'd now like to create a dark MVEL22 border for my the bottom of the image, and some detachable panels for the top of the image for when I watch a 21:9 film.

How can I make the panels? I have the MVEL22 material, but I have no idea what material to use for the panels, how to attach them to the wall, etc. I have a couple of days off next week so I'm hoping to sort it all out then. Any advice please so I can order the stuff in?

(other plan for room if relavant are a black granite fireplace, black granite coffee table, 2x side tables, etc.)

Attachments

• IMG_3606.jpg
    IMG_3606.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 68

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I use 9mm MDF or ply and staple velvet to the panel and screw to the wall. My methodology is to
  1. Cut panel to size leave a 1mm clearance gap (like tiling) for the fabric
  2. drill holes in panel then drill wall, plug and mount to check all good
  3. Cover with velvet (no glue needed) stretching from opposite centres working to each corner and stapling at you go, you can redo if you don't get it right first time by pulling the stales out and re-stretching.
  4. Mount with screws
  5. Cover screws if required with sticky backed velour or paint
F ive panels on the back wall, cotton velvet is expensive but to me looks the nicest. I have done the ceiling near the screen in the same way

A5DB717C-E0BB-4A44-9AC5-9B5C5D917A11.jpeg

87808126-D602-40B9-941E-57716606AD87.jpeg

Cinema room Front 1.jpg

3rdignis

Masking is easier for CIH

My screen material is stapled to wall
Felt velour for whole room (70,000:1 contrast)

Felt velour sheets with backing in place and a little double sided tape for adjustable masking

Picture is what I see, just the screen is brighter

20211218_150932.jpg

20211122_130915.jpg

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I used this wood from Wickes for masking panels:

You can screw them together, or glue and staple them to make a frame, and then stretch and staple the MVEL around them. For long lengths, include some mid span supports so the stretched material doesn't cause it to bow.
Thank you. I'll have a look at this now. Thanks for the response, it didn't notify me.

I use 9mm MDF or ply and staple velvet to the panel and screw to the wall. My methodology is to
  1. Cut panel to size leave a 1mm clearance gap (like tiling) for the fabric
  2. drill holes in panel then drill wall, plug and mount to check all good
  3. Cover with velvet (no glue needed) stretching from opposite centres working to each corner and stapling at you go, you can redo if you don't get it right first time by pulling the stales out and re-stretching.
  4. Mount with screws
  5. Cover screws if required with sticky backed velour or paint
F ive panels on the back wall, cotton velvet is expensive but to me looks the nicest. I have done the ceiling near the screen in the same way

View attachment 1620682
View attachment 1620683

View attachment 1620689
Thank you. Your setup looks something very similar / exact to what I'm trying to accomplish by the screen. Wow! I bought acoustic panels which I was planning to wrap in MVEL22 as I thought it'd kill two birds with one stone for the ceiling?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Masking is easier for CIH

My screen material is stapled to wall
Felt velour for whole room (70,000:1 contrast)

Felt velour sheets with backing in place and a little double sided tape for adjustable masking

Picture is what I see, just the screen is brighter

View attachment 1621685
View attachment 1621687
Thank you. Yes that looks absolutely amazing. Sadly I am not doing CIH because for IMAX and 16:9 films , I want to go max size which is taller than my 2:35:1 aspect ratio.

3rdignis

I was thinking, some small weak magnets behind your screen and border and some metal film wrapped in Felt or velvet sheets.

3rdignis

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom