How do I make a partition 'read only'.

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Westindieman, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I am using Windows Vista and have added a new drive for backups. I had an experience last year when some backup files were currupted and I still dont know how. As a result of this I want to make this partition read only and enable/disable writing to it without a box being checked. The permissions tab looks a bit complicated so I am asking if anyone knows what I should do with it. Thanks...

2. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    permissions only makes sense if you have it networked in anyway. the backup files might have been corrupted from day one or for any number of reasons. you might find it simpler to burn to disc to prevent things from going wrong.

someone might have the answer though

3. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Those files werent currupt from day one and a load of other files became currupt and unusable too accross all my system. I have about 400gb worth of stuff on that drive I need to protect from changes. Anyone help please?

4. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i was thinking more that it was the backup partition you may have got from a bought pc. or a transfer had errors when writing.

someone will know