• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

How do i make 2 partitions into 1?

bez.59

Hi,

The last time i had to restore my pc and reinstall windows one of the partitions (Local disc (H: )) split into 2 so i now keep getting a low memory warning.

I have deleted what i don't need and moved somethings to a different partition but there still isn't very much memory left and everything else on (H: ) are things i don't want to move as i don't know what they are.

At the moment there are 3 partitions on 1 160 GB HDD.

Local disc (C: ) 14.6 GB
Local disc (H: ) 23.1 GB
New Volume (I: ) 111 GB

I would like it to go back to how it was before and join (H: ) and (I: ) back together if it is possible

I have a Packard Bell iMedia 1408 running XP service pack 2.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Windows can't do this itself, you'll need a third party program that comes with it's own boot disk (you can't move windows when it's running). GParted is popular and free and I've used it several times myself with no problem.

There's a guide here, including some instructions what to do if it won't boot (although do check/update your backups just in case): http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

If you've got the old windows installation still on the disk then you may want to delete it before merging partitions, you don't want to end up trying to boot into that one!

bez.59

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be easier to make (I: ) smaller and (H: ) bigger instead of merging them if i can do that with the software?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
IIRC, unless disk management has changed that much from XP to 7, you can just extend the volume in disk management. Right-click on Computer and go to manage. From there go to disk management. Delete volume H and extend volume I by the max available space.

bez.59

IIRC, unless disk management has changed that much from XP to 7, you can just extend the volume in disk management. Right-click on Computer and go to manage. From there go to disk management. Delete volume H and extend volume I by the max available space.

I would but both volumes have things in them i don't want to move like windows files and itunes.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Just back up the drive, merge I and :H, restore the data. Any attempt at re-partitioning without a backup would be most unwise.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom