1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I lose yellow skin tones?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timmy C, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Can someone please offer me a bit of advice about settings for my Domino30. I love the overall picture and I'm very pleased I bought it but I find myself often swapping between the medium and high colour temperature settings. I find everything looks a bit yellow when on medium but don't really like the high setting either. I would really like something in between the two but don't have a clue what do with the offset and gain controls in the user settings. Everytime I mess about with them I just seem to make things worse! As I understand it the user setting should be roughly the same as the medium setting before changing anything so could someone advise me what I should adjust to push the image towards the high setting so I can try and achieve something in between the two and lose the 'yellowness' of the medium setting.

Any advice would be much appreciated as it's starting to bug me everytime I watch a film!

Cheers

2. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you feel it's "yellowish", then you probably have the color temperature set too low.
    If setting it to a higher value doesn't cut it then I'd put the reverse gray ramp test pattern on DVE and see if there's a visible color contamination.
    Using the 'user' setting for color temperature bear in mind that the gain's affect mainly the lighter parts of the B/W picture and the bias the darker ones. It's very hard to do a correct adjust by eye, though.

An ISF calibrator would be a good choice as he has the proper tools (and knowledge)to set it up correctly.

You can try to do the calibration by eye (I dont have an ISF dealer arround so I had to). Others around here can probably give you some orientation on what to change first: gain or bias at the R, G and B. Either way, having the pattern I listed above on you display, you aim for a 'pure' black and white pattern, with no sign of any color.

NS

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thanks for the reply. I realise I need to increase the color temp a bit but not as much as moving it to the high setting. I will get the ISF people in when I've finished my extension and have my kit and screen all finalised but that may not be for another year at this rate so wanted to try and improve things myself for now.

I've tried using DVE but didn't get very far! I was hoping someone would come along who may have been in a similar situation with yellow looking people and tell me to increase a bit of this and lower a bit of that and help the situation.

Cheers anyway

4. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try putting the reverse gray ramps on DVE and decrease the red gain (and/or increase the blue or green ones) and see if it makes it better.

NS

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thanks, I'll try that over the weekend and see if it helps.