1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i know if it is playing in DTS-ES mode ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tinytok, Dec 26, 2001.

1. tinytok

tinytok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've been wondering.....

On my marantz SR5200, i played a DTS movie and selected 6.1 surround mode, i am now playing DTS-ES Matrix 6.1? The icon on the Amp is not showing SC.

Amp i getting DTS ES now ?

Anyone having this thinking ?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Hi

Assuming you´ve got a speaker connected at rear centre, if the Amp panel says 6.1 and the sound is coming out of the speaker, you should have DTS Matrix 6.1!!

Unless on that amp there is a Phantom rear centre channel??

I dont know the Marantz models too well!!

cheers

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    try and use a DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete disc, like Gladiator R1, and see what happens, but i'm none to familiar with the Marantz recievers. Does your marantz to 6.1 Matrix or Discrete?? Doesn't the manual give you any indications??

4. tinytok

tinytok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mjn: Does your marantz to 6.1 Matrix or Discrete?? Doesn't the manual give you any indications??

It Does only 6.1 Matrix. The manual states also without any rear centre icon on the amp.

I've tried it on Tomb Raider and i've heard sound coming out of it. Hence i guess it's okie.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi,

I would not suggest using R2 Gladiator to see if you have 6.1 discrete as this disc isn't flagged and will only show ex/es matrix (see page 52 of issue 78 HCC, The Joy Of EX). Very few discs out today are Discrete but one that definitely is, is R2 + R1 sEvEn.

Heres a link to a page that shows all the DTS titles and what form they are.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/adbarr/page6.html

Now personally I use a denon amp and this doesn't pick up on the discrete channel (if it does have one) on R2 Gladiator, but it does on R2 Seven and R1 Castaway so Im sure this is a flagging issue (no pun intended!). Gladiator was one of the first, if not the first disc to get the 6.1 Discrete treatment.

Hope dat elps

6. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    On T2 disc [r1] the speaker set up shown on amp illuminates 6 speakers and sub [DTS ES] but on D/D EX it does not show 6th speaker.. a bit confusing!
    Still a big improvement for me compared to last amp.
    Can any owner try this .... put T2 or Gladiator on in DTS ES mode leave amp on auto select [it will select dts ok] and then press s-select botton [direct will apear on amp display].
    With this feature on i notice a good boost on effects and bass, at first i thought it couldnt work on digital surround as my old amp would not let me select direct in surround.. But 5200 does i even disconnected my front speakers and just listened to rears to make sure they were not just playing stereo... all effects worked fine no different if direct on or off... apart from an improved sound.
    Can you post findings... i always have direct on now as it seems to bypass bass and tone controls leaving a much crisper sound, i will be surprised if you dont notice any difference!

Thanks.

7. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am interested in buying a Marantz receiver so could someone tell me if the 5200 or 6200 are DTE ES/DD EX discrete or matrix 6.1.

I've had a look around some sites with some advertising DTE ES on these amp whilst others only mention 6.1. Can anyone clear this point up for me?