How do I know if im listening to DTD HD MA?

RHW

Hi

Using a PS3 into a HDMI amp via LPCM, If I play Die Hard 4 and select DTS HD MA, my processor shows that is receiving a signal at 48khz. Same with other discs when selecting DTS HD MA. However, when I play Queen at Montreal and select the DTS HD 96/24 soundtrack, the processor shows that it is receiving a signal at 96khz. All of the processing is completed in the PS3 and passed via LPCM to the processor.

Shouldnt DTD HD MA show 96 Khz as well?

thanks

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi

Using a PS3 into a HDMI amp via LPCM, If I play Die Hard 4 and select DTS HD MA, my processor shows that is receiving a signal at 48khz. Same with other discs when selecting DTS HD MA. However, when I play Queen at Montreal and select the DTS HD 96/24 soundtrack, the processor shows that it is receiving a signal at 96khz. All of the processing is completed in the PS3 and passed via LPCM to the processor.

Shouldnt DTD HD MA show 96 Khz as well?

thanks
Hi Archie007. :)
There is no HD soundtrack recorded over 48khz,so your getting the right sound :smashin: will appear as MULTI-CH (or similiar) on your amp.
Press select on the PS3 controller and this will show your audio-track,bitrate etc. :cool:
PS3 set to LPCM for your HD audio. :)
Cheers.

YellowSphere

Novice Member

Gadgetcity

Novice Member
There is no HD soundtrack recorded over 48khz
The Queen Bluray is 96/24. In fact the DVD is DTS 5.1 96/24 as well!

Enjoy it :)

Note: you can have on a disc 192kHz but only in stereo I believe.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
The Queen Bluray is 96/24. In fact the DVD is DTS 5.1 96/24 as well!

Enjoy it :)

Note: you can have on a disc 192kHz but only in stereo I believe.
Hi mate. :)
The Queen has a English PCM 5.1 Surround (48kHz/16-Bit) track,no? :)
EDIT:Ah,i see :) Queen Rocks Montreal Blu-ray :D linear PCM stereo track (48 kHz/24-Bit/2.3 Mbps) and a DTS HD 5.1 mix (96 kHz/24-Bit/1.5 Mbps).
All the best.

RHW

There is no HD soundtrack recorded over 48khz,so your getting the right sound :smashin: will appear as MULTI-CH (or similiar) on your amp.
Press select on the PS3 controller and this will show your audio-track,bitrate etc. :cool:
PS3 set to LPCM for your HD audio. :)
Cheers.
Thanks Kingfats, I understand now. Regarding the Queen DVD the DTS HD soundtrack is one step down from DTD HD MA according to the DTS web site and does indeed sound great!

As a matter of interest ive just watched 30 days of night on the PS3 in DTS HD MA which sounds fantastic! It really is the best i've ever heard on my system, but curiously I also played it in the same system on my Pioneer LX70A (which isnt meant to decode DTS HD MA, yet it sounds IDENTICAL. This is not meant to happen! Both were used decoding internally and passing LPCM over HDMI. Im puzzled by this as we are led to believe that DTS core (output by the Pio) is not meant to be as good as the lossless MA.

Thanks to all for your help

YellowSphere

Novice Member
The Pioneer does output decoded DTS-HD MA via HDMI, though, I thought?

RHW

The Pioneer does output decoded DTS-HD MA via HDMI, though, I thought?
As I understand it, the 70A will output MA as bitstream but it will not decode it internally and output it as LPCM to the processor. My processor doesnt decode the HD codecs so I rely on the BD player to do all decoding.

Im open to discussion on this but my interpretation of the instructions and the subsequent updates on the Pioneer web site do appear to suggest just that. I would be very pleased to hear that ive got it wrong though!

kingfats

Distinguished Member
As I understand it, the 70A will output MA as bitstream but it will not decode it internally and output it as LPCM to the processor. My processor doesnt decode the HD codecs so I rely on the BD player to do all decoding.

!
That's right :smashin: bitstream only for DTS-MA to a compatible amp,otherwise it's the core track DTS @ 1.5Mbs.
When you said you found the core and the DTS-MA track identical,did you sit and listen for long periods and then compare :) as i find in short bursts they can sound very similiar.
All the best.

RHW

That's right :smashin: bitstream only for DTS-MA to a compatible amp,otherwise it's the core track DTS @ 1.5Mbs.
When you said you found the core and the DTS-MA track identical,did you sit and listen for long periods and then compare :) as i find in short bursts they can sound very similiar.
All the best.
Hi Kingfats

Originally I listened to several particular parts but I have just watched the entire film again on the PS3. My feeling is that the Pioneer sounds better, ie a fuller sound with more impact when the sound track dictates. The steering is similar but the Pioneer more focused. I say 'feeling' because its very close. I am a little perplexed by this as in theory the PS3 using DTS MA should be a clear winner. It would be interesting to hook up both players with a disc in each, this would provide an immediate comparison. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has been able to compare DTS core with DTS MA.

Hope this helps ?!!

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi Kingfats

Originally I listened to several particular parts but I have just watched the entire film again on the PS3. My feeling is that the Pioneer sounds better, ie a fuller sound with more impact when the sound track dictates. The steering is similar but the Pioneer more focused. I say 'feeling' because its very close. I am a little perplexed by this as in theory the PS3 using DTS MA should be a clear winner. It would be interesting to hook up both players with a disc in each, this would provide an immediate comparison. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has been able to compare DTS core with DTS MA.

Hope this helps ?!!
If the Pioneer sounded better on your set -up than the PS3,then it sounded better :D i don't know what else to say really. :smashin:
All the best mate.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Really? I'm sure I read of some 192KHz LPCM releases?
Only ones I'm aware of so far were on DVD-Audio. The Eagles Hotel California for example... Not sure any Blu-rays have hit those highs yet...
The Queen Bluray is 96/24. In fact the DVD is DTS 5.1 96/24 as well! ... Note: you can have on a disc 192kHz but only in stereo I believe.
Blu-ray does support 192kHz, 24-bit 5.1 sound, however I think all players today will downmix that to stereo, and some to 96kHz. This is why DTS-HD MA on Blu-ray supports bit-rates up to 24.5mbps. Now, can you imagine Queen Rock Montreal in those rates... :eek:
How is it the Pioneer connected up?

RHW

How is it the Pioneer connected up?
Hi

Both PS3 and Pioneer connected via HDMI to Lexicon MC12 HD and configured for LPCM. 5 channels fed to Bryston 9B SST. L & R are Wilson Benesch Discoveries. Centre is Wilson Benesch 'The Centre'. Rears are M&K SS 150 and the Sub is a Rel Storm. Cables are Townshend Audio.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Hi

Both PS3 and Pioneer connected via HDMI to Lexicon MC12 HD and configured for LPCM. 5 channels fed to Bryston 9B SST. L & R are Wilson Benesch Discoveries. Centre is Wilson Benesch 'The Centre'. Rears are M&K SS 150 and the Sub is a Rel Storm. Cables are Townshend Audio.
I guess the next comparison would be to hook up SPDIF and see whether the MC12 processing is better...

RHW

I guess the next comparison would be to hook up SPDIF and see whether the MC12 processing is better...
Hi Ian

The MC12HD will only decode DTS and DD and of course LPCM, it doesn't deal with HD codecs. Im no expert on the MC12s internals, but I know it has a SPDIF input. Can you tell me which output from the Pioneer and PS3 I would use to connect it and is it worth it in the circumstances? The MC12 SPDIF is an XLR type socket, I dont know if it has others but I can take a peek if needed.

Thanks

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
The MC12HD will only decode DTS and DD and of course LPCM, it doesn't deal with HD codecs. Im no expert on the MC12s internals, but I know it has a SPDIF input. Can you tell me which output from the Pioneer and PS3 I would use to connect it and is it worth it in the circumstances? The MC12 SPDIF is an XLR type socket, I dont know if it has others but I can take a peek if needed.
Hi,

I guess what I meant was if the Pioneer appears to deliver DTS core decoded to PCM over HDMI in as good quality as the PS3 is delivering DTS-HD MA, then it would be interesting to see how the Lexicon does with just a DTS core signal sent digitally.

The MC12 has a bank of either coax or optical digital inputs, and the Pioneer has one of each as an output. Depending on which cables you have, hook one up and give the Lexicon processing for DTS a spin. I would expect this to be better than the processing in the Pioneer tbh. Avoid the XLR input, it's not needed for this.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom