1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know if a Brite-View-like unit will help?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KraGorn, Sep 15, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Although I'm a n00b to this game I think I understand the basics and know what PS is ... I think. ;) While browsing the A-V Sales special offer page I came across a Zinwell unit. I've just tipped my toes in the water by buying an AE300 which I'm in the process of installing .. with that in mind ...

AIUI, if an interlaced signal is fed into the projector the pj itself de-interlaces it, but a source such as a DVD player can output in progressive mode in which the case pj simply processes it as-is ... if I understand things right, the choice is down to the relative quality of the de-interlacer in the player and the projector.

Clearly external de-interlacers/line-doublers like the Brite-View are another option.

My question is this: given I have an AE300, how do I determine whether to go for a DVD player with built-in PS mode or a lesser player but an external de-interlacer .. or whether the AE300 isn't good enough to show any difference from its' own internal components.

I hope this isn't a meaningless question. :rolleyes:

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I think it depends on the other equipment you have. If you have free view, games consoles etc which you want to get the best picture from then buy an external processor. If you're only going to watch dvd's on your projector then get a dvd player that outputs ps.

I have xbox, GC, freeview and dvd player so I bought an external processor. I noticed the difference on my, cheaper than yours, Z1.

You could ask AV-Sales if they would let you visit with your projector so you can see the difference for yourself. Liam and Andy at av-sales are very friendly and helpful. Go-on don't be shy :)

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The solution is to view your display with and without a processor or prog scan DVD player. Not the easiest thing to do but the only reliable way to confirm what, if any, improvement you'll get.

Also want to add that just because a projector has a decent de-interlacing chipset it doesn't mean that an external processor will not give a superior image when partnered with it.

Gordon

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I'm sure Gordon can give more info on this than I....

I found it extremly hard to tell if PQ was better without some sort of test disc. You can see all the faults when watching films but it's hard to find all faults on one film. I was shown a German test disc which I found jolly helpful when testing my Z1 with Briteview & Iscan Ultra.

The tests I focused on where...

1. A mountain scene with loads of mountain peaks. Without external processor alot of detail was missed.

2. Words scrolling at different speeds across the screen. With VGA feed the words didn't smoothly scroll across the screen.

3. Intricate thin line pattern which showed drastic smearing without processor. Can't remember the technical term for this.

I also used a few patterns to examine colour and contrast etc.

Have you got a test disc you can recommend Gordon or is it a trade secret? :D