How do I keep slideshow running order?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Dave Weystoner, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dave Weystoner

Dave Weystoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    At a friend's funeral her husband wants to run a slideshow at the crematorium of pictures from her life, in chronological order. The crematorium will accept photos on a memory stick; however, we have no control over the order in which they are displayed when played on a laptop. Do we need to know what slideshow program the crematorium has, and use that on the memory stick, or can we load a freebee slideshow program (Faststone comes to mind) on the memory stick that will put the photos in the right order when slotted into the crematorium's computer?

Any help gratefully received, and apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

2. roll1later

roll1later

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    Just thinking out loud...would renaming the files, 01, 02, 03 etc in the order you want, 01 obv being 1st, not do the trick maybe?

3. stearman65

stearman65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi Dave
    I've been making slideshows for the last 10 years using Pictures to Exe & Audacity. I'm not suggesting using it, but if it's not too late, you could send me the images & I could make the show for you & convert it to an MP3, which I could upload to YouTube or one of the free hosting sites & you could download it onto a memory stick. If there is a sound track, voice over or particular music, I could add that. Just let me know how long you want the show to run. No charge. PM me if you want to go ahead.

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,692
    Very good of you :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Dave Weystoner

Dave Weystoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Stearman, many thanks for your very kind offer. I can't get hold of my friend until tomorrow, and the funeral is Thursday, which won't give you much time. I suspect also that the photos will be biggish jpeg files that will take some time to email to you. He's not particularly computer literate, so re-sizing or uploading to a site where they can be grabbed by you might be steps too far. Can I please put your offer on hold until tomorrow?

Roll1later, thanks for your suggestion. You never know, it might just work!

6. roll1later

roll1later

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

If your friend isn't that computer literate it's probably worth a mention to keep the file extension in tact when changing the name, 001.jpg for example.

Also I should have said sorry for both of yours loss, I hope the funeral goes as well as could be expected on Thursday :(

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    Sorry for your loss.

As above as you have very little control here I would try naming them 001filename.jpg 002filename.jpg.
    I would probably copy them to the memory stick one by one so the creation date of the file is sequential e.g. copy 001 first, then 002 ... that might also help with ordering.

It might also be worth creating a slideshow video file on a separate memory stick which would allow you to control the order and timing and perhaps add some music.

This is very simple to do in Windows Movie Maker (older versions of windows) - just drag the images into the project and you can set the delays and transitions. You can then export the slideshow as a video file.
    In Windows 10 WMM has been replaced with "Photos" which I haven't used but I expect the process isn't too disimilar and I expect there are plenty of similar ways to do this on Windows, Mac or Linux depending on what you have available.

8. stearman65

stearman65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi Dave
    I can put a show together in a couple of hours including sound track. My ISP is BT so you can email large files to me, alternatively upload them in bulk to Dropbox or one of the cloud sites. If you PM me I'll let you have my email address, or PM yours.

9. Dave Weystoner

Dave Weystoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've just spoken to my friend: he's had the photos renamed in order and the crematorium is happy that the photos will run in order. it will also provide the music backdrop. Many, many thanks to everyone, and a very special thank you to Stearman for your offer to help us: an act of kindness that makes me optimistic for 2018. Happy New Year everyone.

10. stearman65

stearman65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Thanks, always willing to help with AV work.