How do i improve the signal quality?

pppp1

Established Member
Reaction score
My DVB-T STB is telling me that signal quality is at 40-50%. This causes many problems in picture and sound with break ups, distortion, blocking etc. What can i do to improve the quality of the signal? I'm looking for a simple effective solution.

The obvious answer would be to check your aerial, is it broad band ?

If your aerial is up to the job then check your cable, it can deteriorate over time, especially if it is running on the outside of the property or get damaged.

If that's all good then check your connections to the box, you could have a bad or damaged connector join.

Lastly if there's any big trees directly in front of your aerial, cut them down (not!)

My DVB-T STB is telling me that signal quality is at 40-50%. This causes many problems in picture and sound with break ups, distortion, blocking etc. What can i do to improve the quality of the signal? I'm looking for a simple effective solution.

If the quality of your signal is OK, and it is just your signal strength that is low, you may simply get away with a simple plug in aerial booster at ground level.

Not theoretically ideal, but it is the easiest and cheapest thing to try and may well provide a solution or significant improvement.

You need to supply us with enough info to help....

Where are you?
What sort of aerial do you have? (roof, loft, room)
How old is it?
Do you use any amplifiers (boosters)?

The simple solution to your problem is "to improve the signal input to your receiver".
How you do that is much more complex and you could need the services of a competent TV/aerial installer to help.

Gavtech's suggestion of an amplifier might be right - but too much signal (especially if amplifiers are already in use) can result in signal distortion and poor quality figures at very high signal levels.

I live in Limassol, Cyprus and the aerial is on the roof since the house was built in 1995. My Set top box doesn't provide information separately on quality and strength, there's a just a bar named quality. My STB is the Xoro HRT7500. I can't change the cable so i guess it has to be the aerial or a booster or something like that.

A booster may be used on the setup but i'm not really sure. I'll have to check.

Digital signals are new in Cyprus (from March 2010) and the World Cup is going to be transmitted in HD so I'm trying to find a solution before Friday.

Last edited:
same for me too. Here in Kenilworth, England and having no look with the DVB680.....no signal, medium strength, go figure!!!

Come on England!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom