1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i improve RGB quality with JS Tech?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Likvid, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a problem, i can't figure out why i don't get a better picture quality from my JS Tech RGB2VGA v.2 than i should have.

I have it connected to my sat-receiver and tried both the PC-input directly and the RGBHV input on the TY-42TM6Y board, the quality is the same.

I used to run composite before and that had a much sharper picture, however the colors are better but the picture is REALLY fuzzy compared to the composite signal.

Is there anything wrong with a bad RGB signal from the sat-receiver?

I have excellent cables from Supra so it shouldn't be any problem.

Never remembered i had a such fuzzy RGB when i used to have my Toshiba RPTV with RGB inputs, it was sharp on that.

Something that i need to change in the menu on my Panny TH-50PHD6EX to make it sharper, i tried contrast and sharpness control but that didn't make much change really....?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just a quick check, could you try it with your 3910? the RGB output from that should be pretty flawless.

3. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have tried with the Denon now and the result is stunning, there must be some crap in the sat-receiver in how it handles the RGB signal.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Problem located then, that's 1/2 way to solved. Same scart lead used I hope? Give it a really good wiggle, shove it in and out a few times, might be dirty contacts.

5. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, it's the same SCART lead, the Supra FS Full, just bought it.

I have to try and borrow some other receiver to check....

People says that the color in the picture is too strong with the converter, i can't really understand that because the color is perfect, not too strong and not too weak either.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A borrowed freeview box woul do nicely maybe. I presume it seemed OK before the plasma arrived?

7. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have never tried the sat-receiver on any other TV before i got the plasma so i don't know if it was ok or not.

Another thing is when i change TV-channels i can see grey horizontal scanlines over the screen when it's dark, they go away as soon as the picture appears.

Is that because i run RGBHV and the converter sync the screen with a constant signal all the time even if there are no picture displayed?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, if there's no signal in the there will be no signal out, the lines etc are the screen finding a dodgy sync signal whilst the channel change takes place. Sounds iffy to me, I think your STB is not up to much. You are not from these parts, IIRC? Not being familiar with other satellite systems and their set top boxes is going to leave me short of ideas....

9. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could it be your aerial/lead into the sat box?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not if it's digital, Joe. You either get it or you don't. Picture and sound breakup are the 1st signs of poor input signal.

11. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The picture is ok, it's more stable and cleaner, but it's blurry or fuzzy or whatever you call it.

I am not happy with the clarity, there is not that punch in the picture.

Composite gave a much brighter and sharper picture......

I haven't found a replacement receiver to try yet.

These bloody things these days, in the old days you got what you paid for and if it said RGB out on the box it was RGB, these days manufacturers can't even deliver decent quality RGB out of these sat-receivers, some better or worse.

12. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've compared the RGB quality now more between my Denon 3910 and the sat-rec.

All i can say is that the JS Tech box seems to soften the image alot, i got expensive cables from Supra so that is not the problem as they have always worked good.

What is it that the JS Tech converter do to the signal? i thought it wouldn't affect the signal but just modify the sync signals.

I also connected my IBM Thinkpad T41p with a ATI FireGL T2 card directly to the Panny and the picture is razor sharp thru the VGA-port and the TY-42TM6Y board, it's like night and day and it looks like it should look like.

Anyone else encountered this problem with soft or dull, fuzzy picture?

13. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Finally i have got the picture i wanted, first all of the sudden the sat-receiver said it had an software upgrade available so i flashed the firmware and it reloaded, suddenly i had the option to choose between "S-video, CVBS, and RGB" now, the picture seems much better as well so maybe there was some software bug.

Anyway, that wasn't the real lift i got so i have tweaked all settings on the Panny and found that in Picture -> Advanced Settings ->Gamma, you can set different levels, i had it set at first at 2.2, i decided to try every mode and found that "S Curve" gave a very sharp picture, it was like day and night!!

I am very happy with the picture now, the white text in the pictures are very detailed and sharp now compared to the dull and fuzzy image i got before.

What does "S curve" really do?'

It was like "whoa" when i changed it, the picture is like razorsharp now.

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    i didn't notice any real diff using but s-curve...but would also love to know what the s-curve does! HAve done some searching around and it seems that it increases contrast in the mid tones...but as the s-curve is a line on a graph i'm not sure what point on that line the pw7 selects.....maybe this is an area the calibration chaps tweak?

15. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533

Sorry to jump on your topic but i assume i cannot use these advance settings as im using the Mediabox to connect to my PW7?

When the Mediabox is off i can see these settings when i switch it on and press the picture button i get a coloured bar for each of the brightness, contrast settings

I assume the mediabox will over-ride any of the settings i have changed on the screen setting menus??

Hope this makes sense??

Thanks

Dal

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    The S curve is basically like a loudness button for video.....it pumps up the midlight levels.

Gordon

17. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Will it hurt the plasma? i mean, does it pump up the contrast to high levels?

Do you see anything wrong with running it in "S" mode?

I think the picture got a very good sharpness to the picture and deep 3D look to it.