1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i improve my current system???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by covraj, Jul 19, 2004.

1. covraj

covraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i currently own:
    philips cd 753 player
    (GOLD)marantz integrated amp pm6010ose
    wharfdale sapphire (100w) speakers

i am happy with my system but for a few things. In the higher volume range my speakers can not handle the bass and there is too much treble. i would like better speakers for a start so any suggestions???
    also the other problem is that my amp has no tone controls so i can not turn the treble down. I am after a system that can handle more volum and bass but with tone controls. What would you suggest?, my speakers were only £50 in a sale, what about a new amp with more outputs as then i cud just buy a sub or what about another set of speaker ran thought speaker B button. Would this be a good idea, does it affect the sound quality to have speakers a+b both on at the same time??
    someone once said to me that you coud run the sub from the amp then the speakers out of the sub, is this true and a good idea??

lastly if i sold my amp,anyone know what its worth??its 1yr old in good condition

any help would be very helpful as im pretty much a novice at sytems

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    How much is your budget? New speakers might solve all of your problems. You can use the a+b to bi-wire the speakers to improve the performance. Do you want floorstanders or bookshelf speakers? Also what speaker cable are you using asnt this can also affect the sound?
    Yes you can run the amp to the sub and then the sub to the speakers and it works fine as long as you have a good sub. Start as a minimum of the Mordaunt Short 309 @ £220 ish.
    Hope this all helps:D

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    My suggestion would be that the CD player is the weak link- I remember the 753 being nothing to write home about when I was a RS sales assistant. Have a look at the NAD C521BEE or Cambridge Audio 540C at £200 and you might be suprised. Whilst your speakers aren't amazing I am a firm believer in getting the source right first (despite working for a speaker manufacturer) before buying speakers. Your amp is a cracker though- I very nearly bought a PM6010KI instead of my PM8200.

4. covraj

covraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my budget is variable, im a student and start work today so wont be a few weeks untill i can actually do anything, dont really want to spend more than 200 idealy, also though i do like my amp, you cant bi-wire from the amp and there are few outputs i.e. no centre,rear,sub wire ports. I would like floorstand speakers if affordable,friends have them and they seem to be able to handle alot more even though they are cheap quality(bought from comet). My speaker wire is standard twisted copper wireing. I always wondered, does the wireing actually make a big noticiable difference, if i paid out for it would i be actually be able to hear the difference?how much will it cost to get wires that i can hear the difference in?

which is a better long term investment, floorstanding speakers or a sub

thanks for the advice,it makes sense, how about my new questions??

5. covraj

covraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure what you mean by source? the cd player i know isnt great but at the time i was just looking for a player that could play rw-cd's for a 100. funny enough i bought my system from richer sound in coventry which has now closed due to lack of sales. They at the time failed to mention that i could not bi-wire and had few outputs, also the marantz amp i got was 190 in the store but also 140 on the website, if i had not questioned them on this they were going to sell me it at the instore price. i would have liked the pm8200 like yours but had no where near the funds required.

i basically am trying to achieve tone controled music with out having to buy a new amp if possible.
    cheers though and any extra advice would be appreciated

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If you have room for floorstanders they can be better and cheaper than stand mounters as you dont need to buy floor stands and can go deeper on the bass than most stand mounted ones.
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301216
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=101443
    Marnatz cdp
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301440
    cheap silver cable
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301425
    good interconect
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=201705
    Also look in the Power Buys section of these forums for the Mark Grant cables. Top quality cables at superb prices:D

At a later date you can add a sub and reinforce the low end bass.:devil:

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    Second the thoughts Dfour has as I (personally) hate subs with music. The amp, despite its lack of tone controls is good enough to stand some upgrades in either direction (speakers or CD Player). Dfour has made some good calls with the speakers but I still think that a smart new CD player could suprise you.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hey tons have you heard the 5400 and the OSE version back to back?? Is the OSE sonically worth the difference in cost?

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    I'd say yes but only because the OSE can be had for not alot more than the standard 5400. You get more detail (easy to prove) and more "life" (obviously more subjective). Really the ideal (marantz) match would be a CD6000OSE but these don't grow on trees. Of course there's a 6000KI about 10 feet away from me but that would mean downgrading the office system and that would never do ;)

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Covraj,

Assuming a budget of £250 for a CDP & floorstanders I would get the following 2nd hand kit:

For CD players, you shoud be able to pick up arcam alpha 7 for £100-150, if you are patient.

Floorstanders, a pair of tannoy mercury M3's shouldn't set you back more than £125. Might also be worth checking out some of Mission's offerings too.

Don't waste money on cabling!

DT

11. kspv

kspv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With due regard to the experience and knowledge of all the above AVforum members, I would mention another possible solution.

If Covraj is really really short on cash, he should add a subwoofer to his setup (something like an SVS). Being fairly decent speakers, it is unlikely that Wharfdales have a really bad bump in their upper frequency range to give you that feeling of "too much treble," not withstanding the cost at which you procured them, unless their tweeters have been tampered with (to replace a blown tweeter, often poor quality tweeters are used without any concern to the frequency response). The dissatisfaction you are experiencing may be more because of lack of authentic bass.

While I agree that your CD player may not have much to mention about, most modern european CD and DVD players have decent enough sound quality. It is very true that their quality is never comparable to high-end, dedicated CD players. But the law of diminishing returns applies here as well. Companies like Philips have an internal trickle-down effect, wherein the amount they spend on R&D to develop a high-quality component for one of their high-end models, results in their mass-produced products benefiting from the outcome. If you are indeed keen to change your source, and short on cash, try a modern Pioneer or Philips DVD players with upsampling capability.

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    With respect if he could afford a SVS (or similar) he wouldnt ask about replacing his kit he would already be packing Arcam/Roksan/Cyrus/B&W kit.:D

IMHO I would also disagree with getting a modern DVD player as his musical source unless he is willing to spend a lot getting a good one (£200+) as most CDP of the same price range £100-£200 would blow a similarly priced DVDP out of the water for snap,timing and mid range extension. If you look at my sig. I am using a DVD player as my source but it has been tuned by Cyrus and is IMHO very musical. Not quite as good as my Nad I got rid off but I needed the money and space so the Nad had to go :( and the Limit is a £200 DVD player.

:devil: There is another solution I have just thought off :D Get a seperate DAC unit and use the Philips as a transport!!:devil:

13. covraj

covraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got to say that people here really know there stuff and am more than happy with the advice,

KSPV has sumed my problem, when the volume is high it lacks that Thump in the bass, it seems to fade away, the cones are moving but not much is there. dfour and tons i believe are right in what they saying, speakers might be my way forward.

on people's views i will keep my amp and look into better speakers. im thinking that i might go to a rs shop and demo my amp with some floor stand speakers and sum subs to see how they handle. ill consider a new cd player if i have the cash. will be using this forum often and hopefully eventually i will be giving advice!

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    dont bother with the subs that RS sell except this one:
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=302042

I would advise you to demo the Eltax Liberty 5+
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=101443
    and the Mission M73i
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301216
    These are in your price range, ok not the sub.

I would advise taking your kit with you if possible (except the speakers) and also test some cd players . Try the marantz if possible.
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301440
    I would ignore the idea of the sub untill you sort out the cdplayer and main speakers. If you are using the free interconnects then replace them as that makes a difference and from my playing with speaker cables spending up to £5/meter makes quite a difference. I use QED silver anniversary:) Some people love it and some people hate it.:(
    If the speakers dont come with spikes get a set for them as they tighten up the bass response :smashin:
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=201695

Over all have fun with the demo and all the advice we can give you means nothing if you dont like the sounds produced :thumbsup:

15. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You don't need 2 separate sets of speaker terminals to biwire. Just twist 2 cable ends into one plug at the amp end and have 4 wires running into each speaker. It sounds budget, but that's all biwiring is. I can't see exactly why people do it myself, although I think I'm going to replace the links between my terminals with some of my QED silver anniversary cable. Bi-amping on the other hand...

If your room is small then I wouldn't bother with floorstanders. Keep your amp and look at the mission m73i speakers. Then look at replacing your CDP. I found my Sony CDP-XE570 to be excellent, and it was hard to fault at the price (I might be selling it in the not too distant future). There are loads of decent CDPs about for £100.