1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I identify if a .TS file is 720p or 1080i ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kmm, Aug 14, 2005.

1. kmm

kmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Just wondering how I can tell whether a .TS (transport stream) file I downloaded is 720p or 1080i ?

It plays fine, but when I try and interrogate it, it doesn't give me the resolution.

It would be good to know so I can set my output to my HD TV to match it.

Thanks,
    Kevin.

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Load it into windows media player and look at the properties.

3. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you dont want to go changing the resolution you're feeding the tv to suit a file- just leave it at native (or near as).
    that way the pc will take care of any scaling and do a better job of it.
    as to telling if it's interlaced - turn off de-interlacing and play the file - if it's interlaced it will be plain to see.

4. kmm

kmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Thanks, that sounds reasonable.

One thing to note though, I am not playing the .ts files directly from my PC hooked up to my LCD TV, they are fed through a Roku HD1000 (via Lan) and the Roku outputs the video via HD component to my TV. No messing about with refresh rates, resolution or timings on my PC, the Roku does all this and outputs a pure 720p or 1080i signal (does 720p/1080i at 50 or 60 hz- selectable)

I have to set the Roku output to either 720p or 1080i (though I can change them quite easily), so what I have been doing is changing the Roku's picture output to match the file it is playing (720p or 1080i).

I have to say, the results are stunning, Just watched Lord of the Rings in 1080i HD and it looks superb. 17000bps bitrate and no tearing or breakup of the picture whatsoever. Very impressed. The file is 23Gb though :eek: But well worth it.

Anyway, until Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or Sky HD appear, I am extremely pleased with this setup, and the Roku saves me an awful lot of hassle.

Cheers,
    Kevin.

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'll second just how good the Roku HD1000 is.
    Considering the circa.£235 price tag, it's a steal.

You just need a pc to hold the .ts files or share it's DVD-rom drive and a network cable.
    Rob.