Question How do I hook up soundbar and avr to run separately!

madcat2020

Novice Member
Reaction score
OK, this may seem weird, but I want to hook up a soundbar AND avr with speakers to run separately.
Why? because at night when the small things are asleep the speakers are just too loud. :)
Both TV and AVR utilize ARC, can I run the soundbar through optical and have sound through soundbar. But not sure how I bypass the AVR. Yamaha rx v775. thanks

Just too loud?

Turn the volume down. A soundbar is no less noisy than conventional speakers. The only thing relative to the noise is the level you have the volume set to.

As above I find I can listen to my AVR/speakers at lower volumes than I can the TV speakers etc. due to the improved sound quality and clarity. If you can not turn your AVR low enough then a soundbar is not going to be any better.

Tried turning the sub down or off?

The sub wouldn't make any difference to volume levels and its purpose is to reproduce frequencies your other speakers are less able to reproduce. Its output is balanced to match that of every other speaker present and its output is also relative to the master volume. Turn the master volume down and the sub's volume is reduced relative to the volume of your other speakers. Turn the sub off and the frequencies otherwise being sent to the sub are output via your front left and right speakers. If you want less volume then simply turn the master volume down. This results in both the sub and your other speakers being quieter.

Alternatively, buy some headphones :)

Last edited:
Yea I see your point. Just find that the level I like to have the sub at isn't always appropriate with wife aleep upstairs.

Good headphones might be a good idea for the future to be honest.

Gee thanks, I forgot there's a volume control.
Instead of telling me that what I want is wrong, stay off this thread. Your opinion was not requested. Just some technical expertise.
Due to positioning of speakers, house configuration etc. The sound bar IS quieter. I guess you all would rather comment and be snarky, it's easier than actually helping or saying you don't know how.

Last edited:
You only mention the avr is yamaha.
So I cant be specific without knowing the models of your TV and sources.

ARC needs HDMI CEC to be switched on, and autoswitches on the amp when the TV is switched on

Based on what youve posted , you need to turn off HDMI CEC and stop using ARC.
Connect the TV via optical to both the avr and soundbar.
You can use an optical switch to do this.

Then its simply a question of turning on the gear you want to use.

A universal remote like a harmony could automate this for you.
You would simply set up two different activities, for example TV AVR, and TV Soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom