1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i hook up a console

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cruncher75, Aug 15, 2004.

1. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    what should i use to hook up my ps2 up to my plasma

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Component will give you the best pic but if your component inputs are all used up on the plasma then RGB SCART will be a close second.

S-Video from the PS2 while not bad looks fairly washed out when compared to RGB. The colours are not as vibrant.

Composite cables (the cable that ships with the PS2) should be avoided like the plague as they will produce a picture of extremely poor quality, with only the RF cable (aerial) giving the worst results.

In summary:

Best: Component > RGB SCART > S-Video > Composite > RF (Aerial) :Worst

S.

3. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    u say about the RF cable (aerial) giving the worst results thats the only thing that plugs in to the back of the ps2

4. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy the different conntection types from any PS2 retailer

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The PS2 ships with a composite cable (3 RCA phono connectors, yellow - video, Red/White - left/right audio) and a hacked SCART adaptor block, unless times have changed from when I bought my PS2. Only the PSOne or original PS ever shipped with a RF cable as far as I am aware.

As Stimpy said, you can buy all of the different cables that I mentioned above as optional accesories. I've bought S-Video (before there was a solution to the DVD Green Screen 'feature') and RGB cables.

Personally, I think RGB is your easiest bet for top notch PQ or go component if you can.

S.

6. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I link my xbox via Scart and then optical into AV. I bought the enhanced cables for the xbox.

any help.

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I use component for my PS2, the PQ is stunning, a huge leap from the standard composite scart it defaults with. You can get a PS2 component cable for around £7 on the net, you can also get the £30 Ixos type, but I saw that as a bit of overkill for my PS2!

If you do decide to use component make sure you change your output options from RGB to YrYbPr (or summet like that) in the system menu...

And while you're at it get yourself a progressive game like Soul Calibur 2, hooked up to my Plasma and surround sound it never fails to blow people away!