How do I get Virgin+ through by surround sound?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by adeeley, Jun 10, 2008.

1. adeeley

adeeley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully someone can help me. I have recently had Virgin Installed and was wondering how I get the sound to come out of my speakers. My set up is as follows--

Phillips DVD HTX home cinema (not optical) connected via HDMI to LG TV. I get surround sound from DVD as I bought an extra Scart with an A/V switch beacuase Im using an HDMI lead.

Virgin+ connected to TV with HDMI lead (only get sound through TV but have got optical lead which doesn't seem to do anything)
    XBOX 360 connected via component leads (again, only sound comes through TV).
    Is the problem because I have no optical on my DVD? My Virgin+ box and TV both have Optical ports (connected but not doing anything).
    Im not a techy in any way (as you can probably tell) so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers Adam

2. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Unless your home cinema system has a digital input then you're not going to be able to get full 5.1 surround sound.

If it has an analogue input (two phonos?) then you can use that to get Dolby Prologic which is the next best thing.

The optical port on the TV is probably an output, and will be from the TVs tuner so not 5.1 either.

regards

Brian

3. adeeley

adeeley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks. Just to clear things up... Scart lead (with A/V switch) is currently connected to my TV and DVD (originally to listen to built in Freeview via external speakers before I got Virgin service). I probably don't need this now? Would it be better If I bought a coax to optical lead to connect via Virgin + optical output to DVD system? Will this get sound coming out of speakers?
    Also, can I get my XBOX 360 (not elite) to come through speakers too?

Thanks Again,
    Adam

4. Calzor Suzay

Calzor Suzay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    In the settings menu there used to be an option for hdmi audio overide.

For reference I connect my V+ to the TV via HDMI and use the optical port to an amp. The DVD/HDD goes to the TV via HDMI and the optical port goes to the amp as well.

If I want to record on the DVD/HDD any V+ programmes, I use the scart lead between them and have to unplug the optical from the back of the V+ or I don't get any sound just picture although this may have changed in the update a while back or just a quirk of my system, I don't transfer it between the two that often.

5. adeeley

adeeley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am still none the wiser Im afraid. My DVD player has the specifications below (n.b. No Optical input), What I want is to get my Virgin+ and Xbox coming through Surround speakers. Also, what wires will I need for all (I have HDMI leads running from V+ and DVD to TV. (I have bought Optical cable too but it is redundant at moment. Do I need to buy a digital Coax too? or would this have come with my DVD system?)

Connectors
    Coaxial Digital Input Yes

Connections
    Connector Type 1 x audio line-in ( mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) - front ¦ 1 x USB - front ¦ 1 x HDMI output - rear ¦ 1 x component video output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear ¦ 1 x composite video output ( RCA phono ) - rear ¦ 1 x S-Video output ( 4 PIN mini-DIN ) - rear ¦ 1 x SPDIF input ( RCA phono ) - rear ¦ 1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear ¦ 1 x SCART ( 21 PIN SCART ) - rear

THANKS
    ADAM

6. mark99

mark99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a very similar problem, albeit with a standard STB. I’ve connected the STB to my TV via a scart lead and to my amp via an optical lead but still get no surround sound. I’m assuming there is a set up option somewhere that tells either my STB or my amp to override the scary signal but I haven’t found it yet.

I’m having V+ installed tomorrow and I’m hoping that may solve some issues. Hopefully the engineer will know how to wire things up.

7. billyplasma

billyplasma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told by the Virgin engineer who installed my HD box- to directly connect my surround 5.1 speakers to my HD with phono connectors, e.g. NOT via an amp. I have not tried that method as yet.cant see how it would work really.-??
    Secondly- I have tried to connect with phono cable from rear-outs of TV/ or HD box outs- to Hi-fi ( surround 5.1 speakers) -but I get echo and if I turn down TV volume I get lip-sync sound delay.
    Any thoughts of proper set-up??

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  8. jockeymaster

jockeymaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've got Dolby 5.1 working using the Optical Audio Out port on the V+ connected directly to my JVC Home Theater amplifier.

At the moment the only channel that actually broadcasts with a Dolby 5.1 soundtrack is BBCHD, with all the others you'll just get stereo. That said, you will benefit from the better quality of your external speakers rather the the one built into your TV.

In your case you'll need an Optical to Coaxial converter, as your Philips doesn't have optical input. I believe you can get one from the likes of Ebay.

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Adam,

Lets get your house rocking with audio. Now although this may be long winded, it will future-proof if you upgrade your surround system.

Required cables
    4 optical (you already have one - three more required)
    1 coax digital

Switch box
    1 Toslink Optical Selector

Convertor box
    1 Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Convertor

All that is required is to connect:

Optical cable from TV to Switch Box
    Optical cable from Xbox to Switch Box
    Optical cable from Virgin+ Box to Switch Box

Optical cable from Switch Box to Convertor Box

Coax cable from Convertor Box to Surround System

Selection of which device audio requires turning the dial on the optical switch box and selecting Aux channel on surround system.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  10. Resident Stevil

Resident Stevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya mate i'm strugglin abit with my surround sound but i won't hijack this thread with my problems lol, anyway i have managed to get my xbox 360's audio through my surround speakers, I use a xbox 360 hd component cable, i've plugged the green, blue and red hd cables into the back of my tv (which is also a LG) and the red and white audio cables into the audio input sockets at the back of my surround system. This works perfectly for me, goodluck mate.:thumbsup: p.s i've also used splitters in the surround sound audio sockets so i can plug my V+ box in via a audio coax cable.