1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get videos from my camcorder to my computer?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by AznCrew8317, Jan 1, 2005.

1. AznCrew8317

AznCrew8317

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i'm not really tech savvy, but i really need the help.

So I have a JVC GR-DVL820U and I simply can not figure out how to get my recorded footage (Mini-DV) to my computer. I tried plugging in the mini usb-usb cable that came with the camcorder to my computer, but that only allows me to pull the pictures off which i could already do by putting the SD card into memory card reader on my computer.

I'm so confused, anybody think they can help me?

2. Samoz

Samoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To capture video there should be video output from the videocam. This could either be composite, S-video or firewire. If composite/s-video there will probably have Audio to go withit otherwise you will get no sound. Best starting point is to read the manual if you have it, if not do a search on the internet for it, either on a JVC site or through google. Hope this helps.

Oh, you will need some kind of a video capture interface installed on your PC. You can install USB capture or Firewire, depending on your videocam output, the latter is much faster and will not drop frames.

Happy NY!!!

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do a search on these forums & you will see this discussed many times. If you want to capture reliably to your PC you need to use i-link (firewire).

If your PC doesn't have it, you can get a PCI firewire card including a 4pin to 6pin cable (which you will also need) for under £10 from places like www.dabs.com