Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How do I get VHS video footage onto my PC?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Mulett, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mulett

Mulett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys - I hope someone has some advice.

I've decided to transfer a load of my old family wedding videos etc to PC. They are all on old (full size) VHS tapes. My PC is all set up, and I've bought Dazzle 80 (which I was told is good at transferring analogue to digital).

I'm a bit stuck, however, in knowing what to buy in terms of the VHS video player - it needs to be something with stereo sound and an AV out or S-Video connection. Also, something small and cheap would be preferable.

Has anyone got any suggestions on where to go and what to buy? I didn't know whether to go for a VHS player or an old VHS video camera - or if there is something new on the market specially designed for this sort of thing.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers, Paul

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Any bog standard VHS Nicam VCR will do the trick. If you will use the VCR at a later date for recording from TV or playing back old VHS tapes then a JVC S-VHS VCR may be worth the extra cost as this will give an S-Video output to connect ot the Dazzle for a slightly improved PQ.

Mark.

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You may also need to buy a scart to phono convertor block that is either 'AV out' or 'switchable'. These are dead cheap from Maplins. Then some phono leads if none came with your Dazzle