How do I get TV drive sounds via my DVD player?

S

steve51

Hi All,

I've got my TV Drive hooked up to my Evesham 32" LCD TV via the HDMI cable.

I'm pretty happy with it, especially HD content, but when watching TV I can only get the sound through the TV. My DVD players has a 5.1 speaker set up but I can't work out what connections I need to get the sound to them.

I have a feeling it may be a difficult problem to get around, what with the HDMI cable carrying both picture and sound, but if anyone knows it's likely to be someone on this forum. Can anyone help?

If it make things easier, I can tell you my DVD player has Scart, stereo jacks and an optical audio jacks, while my TV has all these plus a second Scart and component connections.

Thanks!

WGLOVER

steve51 said:
Hi All,

I've got my TV Drive hooked up to my Evesham 32" LCD TV via the HDMI cable.

I'm pretty happy with it, especially HD content, but when watching TV I can only get the sound through the TV. My DVD players has a 5.1 speaker set up but I can't work out what connections I need to get the sound to them.

I have a feeling it may be a difficult problem to get around, what with the HDMI cable carrying both picture and sound, but if anyone knows it's likely to be someone on this forum. Can anyone help?

If it make things easier, I can tell you my DVD player has Scart, stereo jacks and an optical audio jacks, while my TV has all these plus a second Scart and component connections.

Thanks!
Is your DVD player also the amp, ie. it ouputs directly to the speakers?
If so, is the optical socket an output or an input?
Is the TV optical an input or output?

I would expect both to be outputs and so you have a problem. I hope I'm wrong.

Twilight zone

Novice Member
My guess is that the optical on the DVD player is an input so that you can put an external source (like TVdrive) in and get the benefit of 5.1 etc (if and when broadcast)

I have a Sony DAVs550 which does the same thing and I use the optical out on TVdrive into that to get the sound (I am using component but I don't think that should be an issue for you)

S

steve51

Thanks for your replies. I have a feeling the optical connection is an output, in which case it doesn't seem like I'll be able to divert the sound does it?

But I will check that when I'm back at home and at least I know what to do IF it is an input.

Cheers.

Top Bottom