How do I get surround sound output?

pigboy306

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have windows MCE 7 setup i have a DVB-s2 card and Freeview card. I am in the UK.
I output sound via HDMI to my Samsung TV (2 speakers). I also use optical out for Bluray to a 5.1 set up, but watch via PowerDVD.

Now I understand some HD broadcasts are shown with 5.1 sound (are some SD broadcasts with surround sound too?). How do i get this?
I have a optical output on the TV but dont think this operates as a passthrough.
I presume i need to output sound to my 5.1 amp but i dont know how to change the settings or use dual outputs.
I would really like some help on this one.

Hello all,
I have windows MCE 7 setup i have a DVB-s2 card and Freeview card. I am in the UK.
I output sound via HDMI to my Samsung TV (2 speakers). I also use optical out for Bluray to a 5.1 set up, but watch via PowerDVD.

Now I understand some HD broadcasts are shown with 5.1 sound (are some SD broadcasts with surround sound too?). How do i get this?
I have a optical output on the TV but dont think this operates as a passthrough.
I presume i need to output sound to my 5.1 amp but i dont know how to change the settings or use dual outputs.
I would really like some help on this one.

I had to assign a digital output on my amp to get dolby digital from my tv to amp.
I don't think you can get pass through to tv.

Hmm i dont think my amp has digital out... Its a logitech 5.1 setup. Is there anyway i can output 5.1 dolby digital via optical and normal sound via HDMI at the same time?

Hmm i dont think my amp has digital out... Its a logitech 5.1 setup. Is there anyway i can output 5.1 dolby digital via optical and normal sound via HDMI at the same time?

In Win 7 it isn't possible to output from two audio devices (HDMI and SPDIF) at the same time. You can only have one output enabled at any time for system audio. There are plugins for Media Center that you let you quickly switch though ISTR. (I'm not using this as I only use HDMI audio output on my set-up)

Some TVs will loop through their audio received via HDMI out through their TOSLINK audio output but other will only output audio via TOSLINK from the internal tuners and not from external sources AIUI.

There are plugins for Media Center that you let you quickly switch though ISTR. (I'm not using this as I only use HDMI audio output on my set-up)

Some TVs will loop through their audio received via HDMI out through their TOSLINK audio output but other will only output audio via TOSLINK from the internal tuners and not from external sources AIUI.

Thanks for the reply,I will try the second option as i have Samsung LE32B530 TV.

What plugins do you mean haven't come across them!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom