Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How do I get separate audio on my plasma TV?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by newmarkus, Oct 7, 2004.

1. newmarkus

newmarkus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or, more specifically, is there a way I can set it up so that I can watch one thing while taping another?

The only audio "out" I can see on the TV is a direct line out to speakers. But the speakers are connected to a receiver, of course. So, to get sound, I have to tune through my VCR...so if I'm using the VCR to tape something, I can't get sound for any other channel (I can change the channel on the TV, but there's no sound). (Of course, there are no speakers attached to the TV itself.) I hope I'm being clear.

If it helps, my TV is an Samsung SPN4235.

Is there any way I can get television sound without using the VCR?

2. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When you say line out do you mean speaker terminals or phone outs? If phono out these can be connected to your amp. So do you have both a VCR & Freeview box/sky box neither of which are built into the TV? If so you just need to run a set of phono leads out of each into your amp.. If not how are you managing to watch one channel whilst videoing another?

3. newmarkus

newmarkus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what it has are speaker terminals. I'm not sure what phono outs are, are those the same as RCA outs? It doesn't appear to have any of those.

I watch one channel while taping another the old-fashioned way, by having the VCR on one channel and the TV on another. But the TV doesn't have it's own speakers, that's the problem.

Thanks!

4. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes I do mean normal RCA outs. Its just a bit stange to me that a Plasma with a built in TV Tuner doesn't have RCA outs as they are fairly standard on TV's these days so I thought they would be standard on a Plasma TV (otherwise as you say how can you watch the inbuilt tuner if you don't have the speakers). I have a plasma panel so wouldn't expect RCA outs as no inbuilt tuner but I would on yours. Is there not even a headphone out because as an occasional stop gap measure you could buy a headphone to RCA lead. Alternatively just buy the cheapest freeview receiver you can find if you only want to watch it once in a while (RGB compatible of course).