1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i get rid of windows so i can start afresh?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, Jan 11, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im having some not so pleasant fun with my silly pc........ i want to start over, but how do i do so? I cant find anything which uninstals windows, i cant format the drive, the XP cd doesnt give me any options that sem useful..... so what do i do?

thanks

Ad

2. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could restore your PC back to a date where it was working correctly (you don't lose e-mails or word files etc when you do this). I did it successfully a couple of months ago.
    Good luck.
    njiri

3. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Buns,

set the bios so that the first boot device is CD, reboot with th xp cd in the drive and it gives you options to reformat and install.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks John,

I had been trying that, but it didnt work until i disabled the hard drive as a boot device.

So im loading up again now, keep your fingers crossed that this sorts all my problems!

Ad

5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sure it will, following your other thread it sure sounds like driver conflicts, if not I'll take your H3D card if you want to shelve the PC:cool:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll give you a bell if it doesnt! :D

It really is annoying, way back at the start I had a nice stable system, al the updating and messing with newer h3d and dscalers seems to have me in a spin! Dear lord, let me return to pc heaven! :D

ad

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Might I suggest that you create backups of all your settings, files and downloaded programs that you want to keep. Also, when you reformat you should create a second hard-drive partition. That way you can store all the stuff you want to keep in this second partion if you ever need to format again. In any subsequent reformat you would format the main partition, do a fresh install of xp and when finished all your stuff is still there on the other partition without the need to reinstall from your backup cdr's, zip disks etc, re-download progs from the internet etc

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I always had intended on backing up, but its quite tricky to do. The way h3d sits, my machine is being updated rather frequently so im forever downloading anyhow! Settings wise, well i keep a vague record of my drivers, but thats about it..... i dont have to worry about many things which a regular hcpc does because im using the external player. I will however keep a backup of my progs on the 2nd partition..... id never thought of that! Saves a bit of hassle!

All seems well for now..... follow ups will be on the other post if anyone is interested!

ad

9. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The alternative is more partions,

I use "C" as a raw install of XP, no drivers + Ghost
    "D" as "C" + drivers and programs
    "E" as a clone of "D"

Used in a multiboot setup, I use "E" as the option I boot into and try out new stuff, If it goes wrong its easy to clone "D" back over it and get it working again, if it turns out to be a better driver or whatever, then you can carry on using it or use "C" to clone over "D" and add that new driver you had just tested but as a clean install. This machine is networked to my main PC and data is kept on that.

Does this help or have I just confused the issue?

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know what you are saying John, im not sure its something id try though. Despite the hassle im having, i dont honestly beleive that there is enough going on in my set up that i need go so far. From a virgin install, i literally need only install my driver and programs and im away. No settings to worry about, no fiddling to be done really, well certainly not the way i run it. I agree to keeping a copy of the latest up to date software and drivers on my second partition, then so long as i know a point where everything works, i should be ok!

I could of course end up trying your suggestion, but anyone close to me will tell you that my mind is not terribly open to suggestions right now..... give me a couple of weeks till i get my exams moved out of the way! :D

thanks

ad

11. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on your PC and BIOS, you may have to set a boot disk priority in the BIOS -- just make sure your CD-ROM is set to be checked first. You may also be able to prevent the hard disk being checked for 'bootability' at all, although you will have to disable this after the first XP installation reboot -- it won't find the hard disk if you don't.

Again, depending on your BIOS and how your CD-ROM drive is connected, you may not be able to boot from the CD-ROM if it's connected as a slave drive on the same IDE chain as your hard drive, which might explain why you can only boot from it if your hard drive is disabled. If you know how, check that the CD-ROM is on IDE 2 as a master (assuming you have only one drive).

Boot from the XP CD and you'll have an option to delete the existing XP partition. Do this, then recreate a new partition in the old space and format it as NTFS. XP holds your hand throughout this process, making it quite straightforward.

Obviously, anything on your XP partition will be lost as soon as you delete the old partition...

In future, might be worth while buying a something like PowerQuest Drive Image. This creates images of a hard disk partition that you can use to restore it back to working order. I have an image created from a fresh, fully working XP installation that I can use , so I don't have to reinstall Windows & applications when something goes wiggy. Not really worth it if you don't reformat & reinstall that often though.

12. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Buns,

I'd only got to this way of doing mine out of necessity really, I'd been having sound related problems intermittently that meant a clean install was the only way to get over it, no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling the soundcard and drivers made any difference and most importantly, no change seems to cause it, it just happens for no apparant reason (seems to be triggered by Theatretek glitching but I could be mistaken). By having two working copies and a boot choice it means even if one goes "tits up" then its no big deal to get over it, the most frustrating thing is not being able to watch what you want because the PC's playing up!:(

If you want some help making it work, then just give me a shout.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys,

Again id never considered having 2 set ups as a just in case thing. What i definitely need to sort is something for office and assorted rubbish..... i cant afford a separate machine and ive been a bit afraid of trying to dual boot in case something goes belly up.

Anyhow, as i say i have exams until the 20th, after that i'll report back and see how things lok!

ad

14. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Buns,

Setting up dual boot with XP is easy and definatly the best option if you only have 1 machine, keep the HTPC seperate or it will continually give you heartache.