How do I get recorded data off a ram disc?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xenole, Feb 19, 2005.

1. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to back up some things I've recorded on dvd ram using my e55, but beats me how exactly to do it.
    Trued TMPGenc something or other but this screws up settings for other software.
    Then tried some software from Womble, but that was less than useless.

All I want to do is copy it to my hard drive, edit out the adverts and other junk and burn to dvdr.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    TMPG Encoder Author will do what you want - I'm not sure what settings you think it "screws up" (it doesn't install any drivers or other apps so shouldn't affect anything). Refer to the 'DVD-RAM to DVD-R' guide in my signature.

3. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, it stops Record Now Max working for a start by changing some files that prevent it from detecting any drives.
    Just created a restore point and installed TMPGenc, and unsurprisingly, RNM doesn't detect any drives.
    So, there must be something else that can do what I want?

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You'll need to give a lot more information, and not be so dismissive, if we are to be of any help.

The Womble software is first class, but it works on MPEG2 files.

For a start, is your PC drive able to read DVD-RAM discs? If so, how are you ripping the recordings from DVD-RAM to the PC HDD, and obtaining a single file to allow either of the Womble apps to import it?

5. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Pioneer 108 and it has no problem reading Panasonic single sided DVD-Ram discs.

I did manage to copy the dvd-ram contents onto the hard drive as an mpg the first time I tried it, but I cannot remember what I used to do so (took about 25 minutes or less I believe).

6. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On an E55 you can use the partial edit function to remove ads, and suchlike on a DVD-RAM disc.

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What you want to do is not 'backing up', but editing video and reauthoring a DVD. Whichever method you use (and Rasczak's guide is a great single app method), it is a three stage process - Rip the video to HDD, edit out adverts etc, then reauthor the video as a DVD.

An alternative to the above guide is to use DVD Decrypter (freeware) in IFO mode (with 'File splitting' set to 'None' in the Settings menu). This should take around 5 minutes, and will give you one long MPEG2 file which you can import into either of the Womble apps for editing.

Then once you have your edited video you can burn with TMPGenc or DVD Movie Factory (adding menus if you want).

8. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How do I rip the video from a ram disc to the hd then?
    Trying dvd decryptor and that keeps saying it can't find VIDEO_TS, UDF file system parsing failed etc.......

9. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Just copy the DV_RTAV foldier across in Windows.....

10. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After tearing my hair out because my PC couldn't see a video file in the RAM disk's DVD_RTAV folder, I finally tried setting the RAM disk to "locked" on the Panny E85.

I'm not sure whether it was just coincidence, but that seemed to fix it! The DVD_RTAV folder now contains 3 files: VR_MANGR.BUP, VR_MNGR.IFO, and VR_MOVIE.VRO.

TmpgEnc DVD Author was able to read the DVD_RTAV folder and display a list of all the individual clips that I had recorded. Author was then able to extract the clips and save them to the hard disk as individual .MPG files. No need for DVD Decrypter.

By the way, my intention was to feed the mpg's to EditStudio, to try removing the logo's (as mentioned in another thread). But unfortunately EditStudio couldn't read any mpg files. Can anybody suggest why?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes - you do not need DVD Decrypter when extracting VR files.