1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i get progressive scan on my marantz?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by reflectivetrev, Sep 16, 2003.

1. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got into this home cinema thing and have recently bought a Marantz 5300 amp, Marantz 4300 dvd player, tannoy 5.1FX speakers and a 36"panny pd30. I have set my tv to progressive mode, but the option on my dvd player is blanked out so i can't change it from no to yes. Do i need a certain type of cable connection?

Thanks

2. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same amp and dvd as you, so keen to hear what happens here! Think you need to set the output mode to something like CVBS maybe in the menu...

I don't have prog scan on my TV so mine is set to RGB output, but as far as I know the output has to be progressive (i.e. CVBS) to get the progressive scan mode option. You can then set it.

I'd be interested to hear if you can get PAL prog working as well as NTSC prog, keep me posted!

3. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just spoke to the supplier and he is going to call me back with a way of unblocking the dvd player so it will play progressive PAL as well as NTSC. Will let you know if it works.

4. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, did you have any luck with NTSC prog in that case?

In my menus if I select component output I can still select Prog scan with output format set to Pal, but without a prog scan TV I have know idea if it works! :)

5. davenich

davenich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have either of you had any problems with the DV4300? I've had it for about 4 months now, and it seems to automatically select the wrong picture format: w/s whenever there's a 4:3 picture and vice versa, even showing menus in w/c then switching to 4:3 when playing a scene.

I've got it running RGB through a decent scart, which gives a very crisp picture, and lovely sound, but this picture thing is really starting to annoy me, as I have to change the format every time I start a film, and when watching things like deleted scenes I feel like a cr*p juggler as I'm dropping remotes all over the place!

Ta

Dave

6. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine for about 5 months, no problems as far as I can tell... Sticks in 16:9 for pretty much everything, I never really go to 4:3 on it.

If I'm watching a 4:3 source I usually set my TV to 'compromise' mode so it's only a little squished.

7. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally new to all this, but isn't that your tv changing the picture dimensions? Mine has an auto setting which flicks around all the time, but i can also specifically set it to widescreen and no more problems.

Again, sorry if thats a bit of a rookie response!

8. davenich

davenich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I hate the fannying about(technical term!) with the picture that auto formatting does, I prefer watching stuff in the correct aspect ratio and I'm happy to accept the black borders, especially as you get a slightly grainy picture when it's blown up. It's definitely a problem with the DVD player, as NTL and XBox auto switching is fine, and my previously owned DVD players were all fine. I might try to switch the inputs around on the telly and see what happens.

Otherwise it's a third return to Richer Sounds: Marantz 4200OSE initially (unclear picture), then Pioneer DV550 (random rebooting). I might just get a refund and buy from a different supplier, especially as Richer in Dublin have closed shop and they're only in Belfast now.

9. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame - it's a lovely little player (if it works), and looks fantastic in gold with the gold marantz amp.... mmmmm

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Simple Setup on remote go into video menu and select:
    OSD= English
    TV Aspect=16:9 Wide
    TV Type=PAL
    Prog=on
    Output mode=YCbCr
    Captions=off

Connect via component outs to prog scan TV of course!!

11. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the one I meant earlier - doh! :blush:

Have you got a DV4300 and got Pal and NTSC prog going?

12. davenich

davenich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All the setup is correct, with TV as MULTI, as I'm NTSC compatible, and it seems to squash the picture on NTSC sources if it's set to PAL. It's bizarre as it shows 4:3 in w/s and anamorphic in 4:3. It seems like the autoswitch is running through a NOT gate (for all you physics people).

13. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here a few useful things to know:

HOw to find out your current region:
    open the disc tray
    press SUPPORT
    press SHUFFLE
    press PAUSE/STEP
    press NEXT
    A small service menu should appear, select DEBUG and you will see your current region setting.

Changing the region setting:
    open the cd tray
    press SUPPORT
    press X, where x is the region you want or press 9 for multiregion.
    press 1111
    press PAUSE/STEP
    press SHUFFLE
    press NEXT
    close the cd tray and you now have multiregion enabled.

Also, you were right when you said change the input to component to allow progressive scan option, but when i turned it on my screen went blank. TO cancel this press and hold STOP for at least five seconds.

I spoke to my dvd supplier and he said follow the instructions for changing to multiregion and then:

make sure progressive is set to off in the menu
    then insert a region 1 dvd and let it play for a minute.
    then go into the menu and turn progressive scan on
    leave it to play again for a couple of minutes.
    then stop insert a region 2 dvd and everything should now work properly.

UNfortunately, I haven't got a region 1 disc at the moment so will have to wait to check this last part out.

14. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oooooh sounds good, hopefully you don't have to keep doing this with a region 1 disk for PAL prog all the time tho? :confused:

My player is already modded for multi-region, probably a firmware upgrade via CD as there's no chip in it, so hopefully it will still work - just need to borrow a projector from somewhere to try it out!

By the way, for all those that have the SR5300 amp (or 4300 as well), when listening to CD's with this player set the input to Analogue and mode to Source: Direct - makes a real difference on my setup compared to the standard analogue stereo, dunno if anyone else has tried this.

Apparently this bypasses a lot of processing for a purer sound.

15. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    home_bas, I think i was stung a bit by the salesman when i bought my system. I'm perfectly happy with the marantz amp and dvd player, but i think he screwed me on the cables. Could you tell me how you have your stuff linked up and with what type of cables, eg. do you run your dvd picture through your amp to the tv? or just the audio?

Thanks

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well I am pretty sure i am running PAL Prog Marantz DV4300 linked to panny PA20.

17. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cooeeel!

Just need to buy a house to put on in first... :(

But nice to know it works!

18. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I run the audio from the DVD to the amp via a Co-Ax cable (around £20), and for analogue audio for CD playback I run a set of phonos from the audio outs on the DVD to the CD input.

I have DVD set to digital (auto), and CD set to Analogue (source direct).

For the TV, I run an RGB scart through my digital set top box into by TV, as the box has RGB passthrough and I only have a single RGB socket on my TV.

DON'T use the video inputs on the amp, these are only S-Vid and not as good as RGB, and won't pass component either. Plus its extra cables you really don't need - why they bother with it I don't know!

If you have component inputs on your TV (as I assume from your first post), run the three cables (I think phono will do?) on the component output of your DVD player to the component inputs on the TV, and set the DVD output to YcPbR or whatever the setting is! Then set progressive to ON, and Robert's your Auntie's live in lover.

Hope this helps!

19. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that! I was right then the salesman did rip me off, but now i know what to do.

20. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harsh - I take it he convinced you to run all the video signals through the amp...

21. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily we only sorted the dvd connections. He sold me a digital coaxial cable to connect the audio, which i assume is OK. But then he sold me a digital coaxial for the dvd picture to amp along with a composite/SCART to finally get to the tv from the amp. Seems like the whole picture set up is crap. I assume then that I should buy a component to component lead to connect my dvd direct to my tv yes? If so, what is a decent make of cable to buy and do you know the best place?

Thanks again

22. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch! Digital Co-ax for picture!!! :(

I've never set up component output before, so I'm not 100% on the best cables. As far as I know, 3 phonos from the DVD player's component output to the component input on the TV will do the trick for test purposes, then if that works you can check for better cables. In fact, there were a number of phono cables in the box for my DV300, these might work if you have them too.

Make sure you use the component points (should be Blue, green etc).

Good luck, let me know how it goes. I'd seriously have some words with the shop that did you for these cables though....

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    3 75 ohm rca cables are needed (phono) but buy better ones.
    where did you buy the kit anyway???

profigold are pretty good but expect to pay £30+ for decent component lead as it is 3 "digital coax leads"

24. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my kit from petertyson.co.uk, will be having words later today! Ans thanks for the advice re: cables.

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi

Can one of you confirm the dv4300 does prog pal and ntsc automatically.
    And what are you views on the picture quality in prog scan, does it remove jaggies and shimmering on projectors.

26. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :(

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I can confirm it does PS I think PAL PS it might force PAL source to NTSC but as most things diaplay both not a huge issue.

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140