How do i get power to my plasma?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by KinkyAffro, Apr 25, 2007.

1. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi Folks
    First post in this section and hoping for a little advice.

Here's the scenario-

I will soon have a false chimney breast with plasma mounted in the recess as per the norm.
    There is a standard plug socket about 2 metres away from the false breast on the wall.

What's the best way to get power to the plasma or should i say how have you guys done it, considering of course all wiring will be, MUST be, hidden in the wall :smashin:

If i get an electrician to put another socket on the wall "inside" the false chimney breast and plug into that how will i ever get to it once the breast is "sealed up" should there be a problem!
    Or am i supposed to take the plug off the plasma power lead and "hard wire" it into the back of some sort of socket that is mounted on the side of the false chimney and can be swithed from the outside so to speak.

Sorry if its a daft question.

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    On my setup I used a wall bracket that allowed for sockets to be fitted with it, right behind the screen. Going from Left to right I have an aerial socket, a large hole with 65mm tubing feeding off to my AV system and next to that is a single mains socket which can be reached to flick off the power.
    http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/p...8ef2-45a3-8beb-da90256c08b7&CurrentId=1.3.1.2 Dixons online sell this mount.

3. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Thanks Andy

Yes thats a very similar looking mount to the one i'm about to order from AVSales.

I think i understand what you mean. So what i need to do is get an electrician to take a feed from the mains somewhere and run it up to the back of the recess where the plasam is mounted and install a plug socket there, of course, that makes sense.

4. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi,

It seems you have a couple of options. First of all, if your existing socket is on a ring main, then you can use this as your power supply and take a spur from it.

First choice is to take a spur, probably go under the floor and come up on the outside of your false chimney breast. You can then fit a fused switched outlet here (without a neon, they can be noisy, but the type where the load runs from the back, not coming out of the front). Then cut the plug from your plasma cable and wire it in to the back of this outlet and run it inside the false wall and come out into your screen. Put it in some trunking inside the wall if you can.

Alternatively, take a spur from the same existing socket, and fit a new socket behind your screen as Andy suggests.

Use an electrician if you don't know what you are doing :smashin:

Regards,
    MarkP

5. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Thanks Mark this is all making sense now.
    I thought there must be an easier way than running a B&Q extension cable through the wall from the existing plug :suicide: :rotfl:

Yep, tis a job for someone better qualified than me :smashin:

6. shrimp3r

shrimp3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Hi, I'm looking at a similar issue with my PH10 and the AvSales slim mount - what did you decide to do in the end?

Cheers

Mark Mac