1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get my Xbox on Live ?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MacReady, Mar 25, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I am a complete novice when it comes to this and have no idea where to start. I was not really interested in joining the Live community but a few friends at work are on it and have persauded me to get in on in too :)

I am going to get the Live starter kit in the next week but it how I connect it to my broadband that is puzzeling me. I have done a bit of a search but can't find a proper answer.

I am using BTBroadband with the origonal green flat fish modem which would appear to be a bit useless for this job so am lead to believe I will need to buy a router. What then ?...and do I keep the flat fish modem or do I need to replace that too??

Sorry for sounding such a novice on this but it is something I have never really looked into before.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    you need a ADSL modem with an ethernet output or better still a router with a built in ADSL modem (which will also have ethernet output but allow you to connect more than one device, such as your pc, xbox, laptop whatever). You can't get ethernet out of the ADSL modem you already have, although you could use your PC as a router and add an extra network card to it but that's more fiddling than it's worth.

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Thanks for that. I am going to get a combined ADSL router/modem and use that.

Thanks again.

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    They both look good for the price.

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    The are 2 ways:

The first requires your PC to be on when you want to go on live, and it has to have a network card installed (ethernet), then your just share you internet connection.

The second and best is to use a router with a built in modem, this just connects your xbox to the internet when you need it, and can also hook up your PC, Laptop etc to it, and even go wireless at a later date using a wireless access point.

I would recommend Netgear routers, as they are defintely compatible with live and the DG834 versions have a built in proper hardware firewall and also other features which the cheaper ones don't have.
    A router should also be slightly faster that sharing, as going through USB and a PC will add extra milliseconds (you need all the help you can get when plaing rainbow six etc)