1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get my TV out onto my TV?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mandril, Feb 6, 2003.

1. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help!

A small lead about 6inches long came with my PC which I never bothered connecting. It has a yellow female plug on one end and a male s-video connector on the other. Would I be right in thinking this is for a TV out from the PC? If it is, does that mean that all I need to watch my DVD's, VCD's etc playing on my PC on my TV screen is a s-video to s-video lead?

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, thats about right mate :smashin:

3. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked behind my PC and theres no-where to plug the yellow end in. There is a female s-video connector though, next to the monitor socket.
    Do I plug my short cable in leaving the yellow end pointing out and find some sort of cable to attatch it to the TV or just bin the short cable and get a male s-video to male s-video?

4. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    if its a gforce or radeon just use a normal svideo to svideo cable, didnt one come with your card? but not sure if its different for other cards. if in doubt, checkout your cards website

5. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a Gforce 2 MX if that means anything to you. And the only cable that came with it is the one I have described earlier.

6. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S-video connector goes into you video card. By the sounds of it you would need to buy an extension to plug into your cable to take it to your TV. So yes you might as well go out and buy a S-video to S-video lead long enough to reach your TV :)

7. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lead you describe sounds like a "s-video" to "composite "converter. If you have s-video on your tv this converter is redundant. As Apul advised, just use a s-video to s-video from your pc to the tv.

Good luck

8. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks,

I'll see if I can find somewhere open today and give it a try.

Cheers

Mandril

9. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a s-video lead this morning from maplins, plugged it in and I've got a blue screen on my TV.
    Do I have to enable the TV out from the PC or something?

Please help! I'm starting to get stressed.

10. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you do. You should find some settings for it in your display properties :smashin:

11. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mandril

My system uses the geforce 2 MX 400 and I watch DVDs on a TV. The following advice is based on my experience of using the card with a TV - others on this excellent forum will no doubt let you know If I have got it wrong.

To enable TV out follow these steps,
    1. Connect the s-video lead to your PC and TV and switch on your TV.
    2. In your desktop, right click and select properties to display the "Display Properties" screen.
    3. Select the Settings Tab and click on the "Advanced" button.
    4. If all's well you should have a Tab showing nView. Select this Tab.
    5. Click on the "Device Settings" button and select "TV". If the TV option is not present click on the "Detect Diplays" button and then try "Device Settings" again.
    6. After selecting TV click on "Apply" and follow the instructions. The video output should be transferred from your monitor to your TV.
    7. If the picture is monochrome the card has defaulted to NTSC. You will now have to configure the output for PAL UK,
    8. Get back to the screen displayed at step 4, Right click on the image in the centre of the screen and select "select output device" then select "advanced".
    9. "Change Format" allows you to select "PAL UK". Then hit the apply button. A monochrome display should change to colur.
    10. Finally, in my experience for the best TV image with minmal juddering when playing DVDs, set the TV display to
    800x600 and 16 bit colour.

If all, of the above sounds long winded - it is. You may wish to look at a utility called TVTool which allows you do all of the above with minimal hassle.

Hope the above helps

Epithet.

12. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Epithet,

I think I'd just about done all that before I saw your posting, but I now have a new problem. When I restarted my PC it has gone into safe mode which has made the screen c**p! I have gone back to the display settings to try to reset to the default and there are none there.
    I'm starting to regret ever bothering now. How do I get my screen back?

13. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with TV out. I use TV out all the time for watching DVDs without any of the problems you appear to be having.

If you are using Windows XP try system restore to the day before your problems occurred.

Epithet

14. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going round and round in circles now.

I am using win 98se so unfortunatly I cant restore yesterdays settings (although that sounds like a great feature).

I basically go to the display then settings, then advanced. Theres a setting called twin view if I click on it, then clone. it shows two TV screens that are the same. 1 for the monitor and 1 for the tv. The problem comes when I click apply, my system resets and I get the scan disc kick in every time. It wasn't doing this earlier when I tried.
    Im seeing if I can update the drivers now (just to give myself more problems).

15. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Win 98 does have a restore feature...
    Restart in MS-DOS then type scanreg/restore, then press enter.
    You should then have the option of restoring to a couple of days back so to speak.
    Don't know if it will help though of course.:rolleyes: