How do I get my Tosh LCD to display 1368 by 768 or close?

Flashman

I have a laptop with a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Go on Win XP.

Connected it to my Toshiba lcd via vga, which has a native res of 1368 by 768, but I can only get 1024 by 768 displayed.

I have Powerstrip, but how do I get the tv to accept it's native resolution?

I've searched the Forums, but people say they have got theirs working, but not how....

If I create a custom resolution, everytime I try to get the tv to display it, it asks me to restart Windows and then nothing has happened?

Same each time I try.

Any suggestions as to how I can get this to work?

TIA.

clockworks

Does windows detect the TV correctly, as a plug & play monitor?
Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your laptop graphics card?

If the answer to both questions is "yes", you should be able to select 1360x768 in display properties/settings. You shouldn't need to use any custom settings, or powerstrip.

I've got a different TV, and an older nVidia graphics card (4600), and this works perfectly.

Flashman

Clockworks, thanks for taking the time to reply.

My problem is that my PC is a laptop. In the graphic cards list of supported modes, 1360 by 768 is listed, for the laptop's display.

When I enable my TV as the second monitor, it is picked up as a plug and play monitor, but the graphic cards list of resolutions change and do not how any 1360 by 768 or similar resolutions.

I can only get 1024 by 768.

If I use Powerstrip, every time I set the custom resolution it asks me to restart Windows and then won't let me use the resolution.

Maybe I can't do this using a laptop?

dannyg81

It's possible that your laptops secondary VGA connection is limited to 1024x768 output! It all depends on the graphics chipset thats being used, and the limitations of it.

Flashman

Hi,
The tv is not being fed by a second vga port, just the single one off the back of the laptop.

I am enabling two monitors in the settings under display in Windows.

I had it working previously, but with a different lcd set and using the DVi output, rather than vga.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce Go 6800, so should have the grunt to do this surely?

Flashman said:
Hi,
The tv is not being fed by a second vga port, just the single one off the back of the laptop.

I had it working previously, but with a different lcd set and using the DVi output, rather than vga.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce Go 6800, so should have the grunt to do this surely?

Can you not disable the laptop display and make the VGA output the primary monitor?, maybe that will open up the resolutions for it...

TallPaul

Flashman said:
Hi,

Hey Flashman,

Is it a Dell? My Dell with an ATI chip was incapable of driving my TV at 1366x768 no matter what I tried. Came to the conclusion it might be the drivers or limitation related to the native res of the panel.

Using a different machine now no problems, gave up with the laptop.

Paul.

B

Brakeinup

I have an NC6000 laptop that has a 9600 ATi video card in it.

Using Powerstrip I was able to get the correct desktop resolution of 1366 x 768 on my lcd tv.

Your 6800 GO video card should be able to support that resolution. Do you have the nvidia 81.98 drivers installed?

Flashman

Thanks for the replies!

To answer the latest suggestions, yes, I've tried making it the primary display - still won't give me the option to choose any 1368 by 768 or similar resolution.

Also, it is a Dell - An Inspiron XPS Gen II.

That said, it won't accept Nvidia's latest drivers, threw up error messages and I can only choose Dell's version of the driver from their website...

I'll keep trying!

D

DaveP

Just a shot in the dark really, but as you are still looking for a solution I thought I'd give it a mention.

Firstly, have you connected anything to the TV at this resolution? I believe some screens restrict the VGA connection to 1024x768.

Secondly, if you have a DVI connection, it may be worth you trying a VGA converter connected to that. I know it sounds strange and should give you the same VGA signal, but it works for me on my PC!

Dave

Flashman

Dave,
My set doesn't have DVi, unlike the previous one, but it does have two hdmi inputs.

I know you can get convertors for dvi to hdmi and vice versa, so I may give that a go.

Thanks

john_p

Standard Member
I had a similar problem getting my new 26R41 (1360x768 native) to work with my Inspiron 8000, since Dell have stopped updating the drivers and only 1024x768 was supported on the external VGA port.

Anyway to cut a long story short -
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/

I downloaded new drivers and a new INF file and from then I could select the native resolution! This is with a Nvidia GeForce2 Go GPU.

Flashman

John, thanks...I don't really know what the fault is, I can get 1280 by 1024 displayed on the set via vga, it's just that I can't, despite trying all different ways set it to 1360 by 768!

I'll keep trying.

The latest video from AVForums

Philips OLED807 Review, The High Price of Hi-Fi, Video Processors plus AV / HiFi News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom