Answered How do I get my receiver to switch to DD or DTS from PS4?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NeverEden, Jul 15, 2015.

1. NeverEden

NeverEden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,567
    Hello

I own a Yamaha RX465 receiver which is connected to my PS4 via HDMI for audio\video but I can and have also connected via Optical for audio only. With my PS3 when I selected DD/DTS output, the receiver correctly received and displayed the signal as DD/DTS, however with the PS4 on Linear PCM, Bitstream etc it outputs sound fine but displays as PCM. This then let's me adjust the pro logic audio settings but that seems more like a virtualisation of a stereo signal to me? It does output to all 5.1 speakers and changing to Optical doesn't change the signal 'name'.

However, should it not switch to a digital signal like the PS3 and Xbox One do?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by dante01, Jul 15, 2015 (1 points)
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,230
    DTS and Dolby Digital are formats and not modes. You'd have to configure the source to output them as opposed to configuring the receiver to play them.

The PS4 is quirky in that in order to get it to bistream the formats found on discs you have to first start playing a disc, press OPTIONS and then select BITSTREAM (DIRECT) from the AUDIO FORMATS options. This setting will be retained and used again with other discs.

4. NeverEden

NeverEden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,567
    What about for games? Yeh with the PS3 it was a global setting where it would replicate onto games and movies.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,230
    Best Answer
    Games ordinarilly always output their audio as PCM. Even if the game disc is encoded with Dolby Digital or DTS audio, the console does the decoding as opposed to the receiver. This is to allow the console to mix in audio it creates. The PCM signal is still multichannel and still of the same quality as it would have been had the receiver done the decoding.

If correctly configure then even the PS3 only outputted PCM in relation to games.

The global Bitstream or LPCM HDMI output settings of either the PS3 or the PS4 have no effect upon game audio.

6. vinz420

vinz420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Sorry to reopen this question but I have a similar problem to the OP - my Sony STR-1030 only outputs stereo under LPCM (despite the fact other devices work as 7.1 dts-HD MA) on my PS4. I even tried Blu Ray Movies and Games and both do only output in stereo. If it helps, it reverts to Dolby 5.1 (displayed on the AV Receiver) when I turn off the projector. I think it must be a miscommunication between the AV receiver and the PS4. Help please!