Answered How do I get my PC to play what is on my TV?

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Griffinit, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Griffinit

Griffinit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea where to post this, so please move if necessary.

I have a JVC 28" TV which is on my home Wi-Fi network. It shows up as a device in "Devices and Printers" on my Windows 10 laptop.

If I expand "network" in Explorer on my laptop, it shows the TV but the right click menu is very limited with no play options.

There's lots of information for how to get one's PC screen displayed on a TV, no problem, but how do I get the content that is playing on the TV to show up on my laptop?

I tried to stream it via Windows Media Player, but that does not seem to work, or perhaps I am doing something wrong.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by jwsg, Jun 19, 2019 (1 points)
  3. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Best Answer
    The TV is meant as an endpoint - there is deliberately no way to extract content digitally from it.

For most content I can think of, you wouldnt need to anyway. There are apps or websites able to show many TV channels live or catchup plus the usual streaming services. Also its easier to play your own files on a PC than a TV.

4. Griffinit

Griffinit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I was just curious when I saw it show up in "devices" on my laptop. Thanks