How do I get my PC to detect my new SMART TV as a display?

clayto

Standard Member
Reaction score
With an HDMI cable I have connected my PC to my new Toshiba Smart TV which I want to use as a second display. It is the same cable I used successfully with my previous TV. In Settings I have selected the option to mirror my desktop. The TV is not detected automatically. To achieve detection re-starting the PC is the only suggestion I have seen, but that has not worked. What will?

Try another HDMI port on the TV.

Check your GPU driver control panel rather than windows settings.

If your GPU has a spare Displayport output I would recommend getting a DP to HDMI cable, these are more reliable then straight HDMI in my experience when it goes to detecting hardware at the other end.

Normally the extend or mirror options are set as a per-display basis so if you're seeing it in settings then I'd expect the display to have been detected.

Or are you talking about the Project menu?

It's normally just a case of plugging the screen in. If it's not being detected at all then it'd most often be a case of a fault somewhere rather than you doing something wrong.

If it is being detected them be aware that mirroring sends an exact copy of the other display, so if it's running at settings the TV doesn't support them the TV may not produce a picture.

I have tried with both Settings, Display and Projecting. The TV is not detected in either. I have tried all 3 HDMI ports on the TV, the response is 'no signal'.
Two points which are a bit odd (to me) are (1)in Display Settings under Multiple Displays the 'button' says "Connect to a wireless display" -- but it is not wireless is it? (2) in Projecting "Always off" is displayed, and cannot be changed. Probably both are irrelevant ?

I have tried with both Settings, Display and Projecting. The TV is not detected in either. I have tried all 3 HDMI ports on the TV, the response is 'no signal'.
Two points which are a bit odd (to me) are (1)in Display Settings under Multiple Displays the 'button' says "Connect to a wireless display" -- but it is not wireless is it? (2) in Projecting "Always off" is displayed, and cannot be changed. Probably both are irrelevant ?

Those are windows settings and suggestions it offers.

Go into your GPU driver control panel (Nvidia, AMD or Intel) and look at their monitor/display section just to be sure they don't see the display.

You could try another HDMI cable on the off chance its that for some reason.

Does the TV have a game mode, if so try setting it to that as well for the input the PC is connected to.

Thanks for the suggestions. No game mode on TV. I have bought a new HDMI cable. It made no difference. The Intel Graphics Command Centre reports 'no second display detected.'

Is there any way I can detect if the micro HDMI port on my PC is OK?

Thanks for the suggestions. No game mode on TV. I have bought a new HDMI cable. It made no difference. The Intel Graphics Command Centre reports 'no second display detected.'

Is there any way I can detect if the micro HDMI port on my PC is OK?

Plugging it into any other display like a PC monitor is the quickest. Micro HDMI is not that common on PC's if this is a laptop what's the make/model.

Does the PC have any other video output like Displayport or USB-C as HDMI display can be used via those with the appropriate cable.

The PC is a Chuwi 10X Tablet PC / 2-in-1 Laptop. It does have two USB C 3 ports, one for power, one for data. Both are occupied but could be used for short spells at least.

Anything with an HDMI input is worth trying, so things like AV Receivers and Soundbars as well as displays.

I don't have anything with HDMI apart from the PC and TV (which is one reason why I want the TV to display the desktop). So if I understand right, instead of an HDMI cable I could connect with a USB cable, one end HDMI ,the other USB C (or other USB standard?). If this is so it is another arrangement worth considering, though it would deprive me of the permanent use of one of the two C ports.----or could it work with a USB C hub (which I know are rare but they do exist)? Or will a Standard USB connection work?

From what I could see the PC's type c USB3 ports don't carry displayport video so a DP to HDMI cable would not work.

So you might want to consider getting something like this which basically gives you another HDMI output over USB. You can also buy them in hub form with more ports.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I don't have anything with HDMI apart from the PC and TV (which is one reason why I want the TV to display the desktop). So if I understand right, instead of an HDMI cable I could connect with a USB cable, one end HDMI ,the other USB C (or other USB standard?). If this is so it is another arrangement worth considering, though it would deprive me of the permanent use of one of the two C ports.----or could it work with a USB C hub (which I know are rare but they do exist)? Or will a Standard USB connection work?

From what I could see the PC's type c USB3 ports don't carry displayport video so a DP to HDMI cable would not work.

So you might want to consider getting something like this which basically gives you another HDMI output over USB. You can also buy them in hub form with more ports.
Thanks, I think you are right. It is a bit annoying to find that the HDMI port does not do what it should, but I have found a couple of devices from using the link you give so I will very probably buy one of those. I lose use of a USB port but it seems it does not need to be type C so that is not a great problem. What else can I use the HDMI port for?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom